Cost of Lighting

NickMe!!

Does anybody know how much it costs to run say a 600w lamp per hour.

Im trying to work out how much my electric bill is gonna be if I get one of these and leave it on for days.

My mum bought some 500w floodlights for the garden a few years back and never stopped winging over how much it cost to run them. Was my mum just going over the top or does it cost a few bob?

Ive found the answer to half my question here...

"The electric company bills its customer by the kilowatt-hour. When you turn on something that consumes 1,000 watts for one hour, it consumes 1 kilowatt-hour. Or if you turn on something that consumes 100 watts for 10 hours, it consumes 1 kilowatt-hour. The number of watts a device uses times the number of hours you leave it on tells you number of watt-hours it consumes. Divide by 1,000 to get kilowatt-hours. "

It went on to say that in America it costs around 8c per kilowatt.

Does anyone know how much a kilowatt is in this country?

Either way, a 500w lamp on for 24hrs is 12kw per hour. Even at 8c thats 96c per hour! Thats a lot! If it cost the same here am I right in saying its about £15 per day??

Sorry mate you have your figures wrong there..

a 600W lamp uses 0.6KWH

If you run it for 12 hours a day, you are using 7.2 KWH per day.  Have a look at your leccy bill for the price per unit of electricity. Multiply the price per unit by 7.2 and you have your running cost per day.

I'd guess (long time since i looked at prices) that the price per unit is about 7p. Therefore your running costs are about 50p per day (or £1 a day if you run it 24/0)

MrB

Yeah your right, I did work it out wrong. Didnt realise till after I went out.

That 12 kilowatts would be for a day. We worked out to exactly what you have there. £1.00 a day 24/0.