New Leaves/growth Being Eaten Away

binary

Noticed small light coloured spots and holes on a couple of larger older leaves in the middle of the plant. Also a couple of smaller newer grown leaves at the top of the plant have been half munched away.

Could this is spider mites?

All the pictures I've seen of spider mite damage show the lighter spots and gradual discolouration of the leaf, but not the eating away of new younger growth I'm experiencing.

Lights on now so had a chance to have a closer look, existing damage doesn't seem to have got any worse although I've noticed a few more leaves with their edges munched.

Cut a couple of affected leaves off, pinned them down to a piece of white paper and studied them through a 60-100 microscope (Tandy one, great piece of kit) and I can't see much.

I can see some white flecks, best description I can think of is like a pupae casing, also a couple of long brown specks bit like a turd. This could be nothing though and the I managed to get the microsope down to a high magnification so it could be flecks of anything I suppose.

Going to cut some more leaves off later and keep looking, also ordered some Buzzoff from Togs today so I'll give them a dose of that when it arrives.

Should I be looking for something actually moving?

Should I be looking for something actually moving?

Have you got a pic? Are your plants in veg or flower? If flower how long? Here's a good pic of mites :smoke: P.S I never saw em moving when I got em!

post-116-1094756823.jpg

Edited by scottyDog

Only been on 12/12 for 48 hours.

Sorry mate, haven't got access to a camera at the moment. and no they look nothing like that, only acouple of affected areas on each leaf.

Cut off a load more leaves and examined them, found what I think was one egg but not much else apart from what I mentioned above.

Can see anything flying around.

Removed all plants and examined each one, only effecting one plant and it's like the leaf is being eaten away between the veins. Sort of damage a caterpillar would leave on a plant, but on a much smaller scale.

No idea, just hope the Buzzoff clears whatever it is.

Edited by binary

If the veins are decaying from within (going stark white an such) I think it's some sort of nute problem. Check the problem solver...I'm pretty sure it was in there.

I also had some weird damage, but it was as if something the size of a rabbit got into atotally sealed off grow and nibbled a funky pattern on just two fan leaves...thats it..it never spred or grew or anything...just somehow 2 leaves are retarded on the tips cuz of something having a nibble.

I also had some weird damage, but it was as if something the size of a rabbit got into atotally sealed off grow and nibbled a funky pattern on just two fan leaves...thats it..it never spred or grew or anything...just somehow 2 leaves are retarded on the tips cuz of something having a nibble.

No discolouration of the veins mate.

Took all the plants out again last night for a tie down and studied each one for ages and couldn't find any further damage, so I'm well puzzled.

They did get their first Biobizz feed two days ago in accordance with OT1s feeding schedule, but I can't see how this could have anything to do with it.

Got my Buzzoff from TOGS this morning so will give them a mist with this tonight just incase.

Relieved in one sense, had it been mites I would have expected to have seen a lot more pest activity by now after 3 days, fingers crossed. :wassnnme:

Well whatever it was having a munch has gone now.

Gave the plants a good misting with Buzzoff and went to do another misting a few days later and could find no further damage and everything has been fine since.

Buzzoff gets my vote, and smells nice too. lol

Edited by binary

Removed all plants and examined each one, only effecting one plant and it's like the leaf is being eaten away between the veins. Sort of damage a caterpillar would leave on a plant, but on a much smaller scale.

caterpillar My guess !

Have they been outside recently?