Cloning After Harvest

Boojum

Can you take cuttings for cloning after you've harvested your bud ? If so, do you need to reveg first. Or is it better/feasable to take cuttings towards the end of flowering (or is the fact that the plants is not in vegetative growth gonna stop it from developing new roots on the cutting). If you take cuttings while in flower, will that stress the plant & turn it hermy.

You might have guessed, I'm nearing harvest but didn't get round to taking cuttings before flowering - I've got my 4 last beans vegging now, but I'd like to try cloning on this plant (looks like a bloody good yielder, given my mistreatment of her) if it's at all possible.

Also, if cuttings can be taken, can I then use one of those plants as a mother for further cuttings, or does the fact that she will be from a cutting 'dilute' the genetics & lead to problems with clones (I know you can't keep cloning from clones then cloning from those clones etc)

Cheers.

I've taken 2 cuttings whilst a plant has been in flower, various stages too.

Took a WW cut at about 6 wks 12/12, also took a c99 x dhs cut at about 3 wks 12/12.

The ww is taking forever to grow but it has roots, the c99x dsh is flying, but it does look a little wonky......

Buzzin, I'll give it a go - I know you've got to cut it where it's still green, woody bits don't work (or don't work as well). I'll reread OT1's cloning faq (think it's OT1's), but I take it you take from the lower branches - is it best to cut just above or just below the shade leaf node ? & will rooting stuff from a garden centre work, or does it need to be cannabis-specific stuff ?

Cheers. (off to read the faq, should have done so before...)

Edited to add ;) It's Oldpink's faq, cut diagonally through the node lol

The guide is for hydro, putting in nute soaked cubes, I'm a mud grower - dumb question but can you put the cuttings (treated with rooting stuff) straight into compost - if not what's best since I don't have any ot the stuff in the faq - what's the bare minimum I need to get ?

Cheers again.

Edited by Boojum

I use westland with added JI compost with 50% perlite added to it, I also use a rooting hormone powder.

So you'll need a propergator £2.99 B&Q, compost and perlite £5 and some rotting hormone powder/gel, mine was £2.

So £10 for a cloning kit, not bad me thinks :( .....

hey boojum,i revegged 2 b/b recently,it was very easy,as they were chopped in april/may,i then put them in greenhouse and fed them a bit of bio/gro,and lo and behold they reverted back to veggin,and then i beleive you should take cuttings,i read a great article somewhere :( about this,sorry dont remember,but if put under 24/0 veggin lamp for a couple of weeks should see them grow new shoots,as long as you leave 1 or 2 shoots/leaves on when you chop,cheers buddie twinkle :stoned:

i also have taken clones well into flowering.

if it is too far gone they will grow 1 or 2 mutant leaves while they transfer back to veg state then off they go again.

as long as you follow the normal rules for clones they should be fine m8.

if you are already revegging themother tho wouldn't it be easier to wait till she reverts and then clone?

maybe time is of the essence?

Cheers everyone. Great advice as always :mmmmmmm:

I wanted clones of this one cos she looks like a good yielder, at least twice as much bud than any of my previous attempts at this stage, but it looked a bit beyond my talents when I put her into flower. I reckon I'll wait to harvest (she's somewhere between 6-8 weeks 12/12) then reveg - there's no real time worries (unless the 4 seedlings I'm vegging all turn out to be blokes), and I guess if I can do it, it means I'll have a proper first generation mother, not a copy, for further cuttings.

Nice one - good hobby this, always learing something :stoned:

(I know you can't keep cloning from clones then cloning from those clones etc)

works fine for me :mmmmmmm:

ot1 briefly talks about it in his bonsai mum article...

Take them as I think I'm doing a test run now on takiing clones at week 2, wek 4, & week 6. the closer to preflower as streatch finishes (starts too) the better.

I have used 2 x 18" blue Agro Fluro's to root the cuttings out then under 400w HID for 1 week, 4 weeks, & 5 weeks as a comparison in when the best time to take clones and also hope to gain some knowledge of HID & HSP used to mix during flowering.

Boojum I recon the later you leave it (after you chop) may make life more difficlt for you. I fond full flowering reveg to take 3 -5 weeks 20/4 400w HID - some pretty intense light needed (that was a full reversal). I must admit though it was a strain with long flowering time - Satvia -(20 weeks) & other Inc,'s strain may be better & revert quicker. I would imagine there would be alot of variation between strains.

I just want to get to know mine better in order to produc somewhat quicker (45 days instead of 15-20 weeks) and with bettter yield/quality :stoned:

Got a top scrog net 1.2mx1.6 m :stoned:

goodluck Boojum - Keep us informed.

:mmmmmmm: NK.