lying

troy

Is lying ever justified ? Some people think its ok to tell "white lies " to supposedly protect others feelings. Is this a good idea ? Is it always best to tell the truth, e.g. Yes, your arse does look big in that dress.

What right do we have to lie to others and is it ultimately unhelpful.

Should we lie to children about Santa Claus ?

Your thoughts are appreciated, Happy atheist xmas everyone.

Lying by omission is included in this question.

Edited by troy

I think its part and parcel of life is lying, even if its just the old "You look great in them jeans sweet heart" etc.

I would never lie but that's because I'm a top astronaut and I'm married to that bird off of Coronation Street with the big tits, and she doesn't like me lying.

Edited by Lake Palmer
  • Like 4

and I'm married to that bird off of Coronation Street with the big tits, and she doesn't like me lying.

they aint that big really her tits.. kudos on pulling her though fella :guitar:

post-55529-0-88548400-1324665227_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

The police asked me lots of questions earlier in the year,if I hadnt slightly distorted the truth 100% and been economical with my answers the odds are hight I wouldnt be typing this so yes,some flexibility is allowed with facts :guitar:

• Like 2

The police asked me lots of questions earlier in the year,if I hadnt slightly distorted the truth 100% and been economical with my answers the odds are hight I wouldnt be typing this so yes,some flexibility is allowed with facts :guitar:

My God,that so echoes my experience.I too told the whole"appropriate" truth. :yinyang:

just what porkies u been telling that yr asking us to validate?

I don't tell lies. Do you ? I think it's rarely if ever justified.

But I could be lying of course :)

Edited by troy

I remember an anecdote by Peter Ustinov about lying.

It had been reported during an interview with President Carter that his mother had never told a lie. Very shortly after this interview Carter's mother was to be interviewed. When the reporter entered the room Mrs Carter welcomed the reporter to her home, "Welcome, I'm glad to meet you" and thus the interview began. They spoke of many things and then the issue of lying was raised.

"Now I believe that you claim to have never told a lie"

"That is correct"

"What, never (!)"

And the reporter pressed and probed and eventually Mrs Carter admitted to having told a white lie.

"Ah, a white lie, could you give me an example of a white lie"

"Why yes, when you first came in I said I was glad to meet you."