dust bin grow box

greatgorilla

it seems ill have a place of my own very soon.

ill post a link in this thread and hopefully we will see what this thing is made of.

also i have a news idea that will either be the shit, or it will be shit.

Edited by Owderb

nice idea in theory but a fire trap in practical terms, the only way i'd attempt to use a plastic bin

for growing in is if i was in all the time watching the bin with a fire extinguisher on standby.

seriously, its a fire hazard just waiting to turn into a death trap.

how is it any more a fire hazard than a wooden built grow box or a converted cupboard.

im using cfl,s here so even if my two computer fans fail on me it still does not put out enough heat to burn my hands

and at the end of the day bad electronics is a much bigger fire hazard than a plastic container.

pls explain your comments. you have my attention.

because they're not made of plastic.

also, if you grow weed in dusty bin, how will you attach a carbon filter to mask the smell ?

if you'd done an indoor grow before, you'd know how much cannabis reeks to high heaven when growing.

if your serious about growing, you have to spend money on buying the correct gear.

• Like 1

because they're not made of plastic.

also, if you grow weed in dusty bin, how will you attach a carbon filter to mask the smell ?

if you'd done an indoor grow before, you'd know how much cannabis reeks to high heaven when growing.

if your serious about growing, you have to spend money on buying the correct gear.

that didnt realy give me very much detail or answer my question which was why would plastic be more of a fire risk than wood. you do realise wood is very flammable, that black and white material used to line grow tents that you buy from hydro stores..... plastic

for plastic to become a risk it would (A) need some kind of combustion or (B) be exposed to excessively high levels of heat, at which point it will not become combustible until it has gone through several stages degradation. first it will melt then it starts to bubble then from that it reaches a point where it catches fire. were talking oven temperatures here. i doubt my cfls are up to the task and im confident in my electrical ability.

trust that this polypropylene made bin will not get anywhere near the kind of temperatures that are needed to melt the plastic let alone ignite it

i think you were trying to give me advise here, but i think you might also have just been a naysayer jumping in to toss some negativity my way. if its the former i apreaciate you trying to help, if its the latter then im not bothered about that. actualy i welcome it, if there is any relevant information to follow it that is. ultimately considering wood is much more flammable than plastic ill take this with a pinch of salt.

if you have any info as to why i might want to think again on this id appreciate it. my safety and the safety of the people around me is important to me. but from my understanding of things i should be fine.

as regards to the carbon filter, i am still at the drawing Bord on this one. it will have to be a custom build. what i have so far is that i will have this grow bin inside my wardrobe where i will have a external fan capable of pushing air through a carbon filter mounted on the wardrobe somewhere.

im also looking into odour eating products but ultimately ill need a carbon filter as well. trust me i wouldn't go into this without security. even if i paid for a filter the first sign of a breach would see me tossing my work in a compost.

im not the kind of guy to take stupid risks.

Edited by greatgorilla

that didnt realy give me very much detail or answer my question which was why would plastic be more of a fire risk than wood. you do realise wood is very flammable, that black and white material used to line grow tents that you buy from hydro stores..... plastic

for plastic to become a risk it would (A) need some kind of combustion or (B) be exposed to excessively high levels of heat, at which point it will not become combustible until it has gone through several stages degradation. first it will melt then it starts to bubble then from that it reaches a point where it catches fire. were talking oven temperatures here. i doubt my cfls are up to the task and im confident in my electrical ability.

trust that this polypropylene made bin will not get anywhere near the kind of temperatures that are needed to melt the plastic let alone ignite it

im sorry i didnt explain things in more detail & i do know that wood & the material tents made out of are combustible,

but if you look at my veg cab siggy (veg cab made out of wood) & have a look through my photo albums,

you'll see how i rigged up my tent that i dont take risks & everything is secured properly,

those 2 cfls in the bin, theyre held in place with bamboo & coated wire, fair enough, the bins made of polypropylene

& will be less susceptible to melting but it will get very warm in that enclosed space.

i think you were trying to give me advise here, but i think you might also have just been a naysayer jumping in to toss some negativity my way. if its the former i apreaciate you trying to help, if its the latter then im not bothered about that. actualy i welcome it, if there is any relevant information to follow it that is. ultimately considering wood is much more flammable than plastic ill take this with a pinch of salt.

if you have any info as to why i might want to think again on this id appreciate it. my safety and the safety of the people around me is important to me. but from my understanding of things i should be fine.

mate, i didnt mean to piss on your plans & im sorry for sounding negative, i was only trying to advise

you from making any mistakes & i hope it does work as you've planned.

as regards to the carbon filter, i am still at the drawing Bord on this one. it will have to be a custom build. what i have so far is that i will have this grow bin inside my wardrobe where i will have a external fan capable of pushing air through a carbon filter mounted on the wardrobe somewhere.

im also looking into odour eating products but ultimately ill need a carbon filter as well. trust me i wouldn't go into this without security. even if i paid for a filter the first sign of a breach would see me tossing my work in a compost.

im not the kind of guy to take stupid risks.

i've seen various diy CF efforts over the years i've been frequenting the boards & some do work to an extent,

i just think that you'll struggle to get a decent airflow with using pc fans & the shape of the lid will make it awkward to mount anything inside.

imho & others included on the site, i wouldnt grow without using a proper CF & a matching inline fan.

anyway, i wish you all the best for the future & hope it doesnt end up costing you in the long run.

JH

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...