Has Sensi Seeds Still Got It?

PureSmkr

I keep reading comments regarding SSB and how they are 'not what they were' which got me thinking.

Is this really the case? Why would that be? Unless they have lost genetics along the way i'm not so sure, I would have thought Amsterdam would be the perfect location for preserving their famous genetics.

I am new to growing but have grown out both BigBud & SK#1 from SSB & want to grow more of their strains. Whilst I love the BigBud, I felt their SK#1 is a bit hit & miss. It just didn't get me excited, as some strains can.  I grew both alongside each other so I remove the environment as a factor for the ropey SK#1, as the BigBud came out really great. :D

Part of the reason I am curious is because I would love to get my hands on the real Jack Herer and have heard Sensi is the only place I will find the real deal, the haze pheno. I know £130 is a lot of dough but once I've got the right cut I aim to keep it 'forever'. I guess I need reassurance I wont be getting anything ropey like the recent SK#1 I grew, so if anyone has grown Jack Herer please let me know how it turned out. :yep: Obviously I recognise the difference in price, & I guess this should indicate a difference in quality but this does not seem to always be the case with seeds, as some of my friends have found with some previous other seed bank purchases.

The other reason I was wondering is because it seems to be a raw deal for Sensi if this is a rumour and if it is not the case and they do still have a healthy seed bank. It would be a shame if  any historic collection of cannabis is lost or diluted.

Pricing aside, on a purely genetic level - are Sensi Seed Bank still a good place to go seed shopping? :skin_up:

I've had both experiences with Sensi, although not the JH. Their Northern Lights from around 2007 was really excellent. I loved that strain and the resulting grow. This was also back when I didn't have a clue and ended up with great results. This is one of them:

post-29233-0-95861500-1309812689_thumb.jpg

The Skunk #1 I did last year wasn't great at all though, pretty weak in my opinion. I would be tempted to gamble on them again but I do have a small niggle at the back of my mind after the skunk, which is supposed to be one of their cast-iron classics.

Edited by Monkey Tennis
  • Like 1

Can't speak for Sensi these days, the original breeders have long gone though, i think Neville ceased to be involved in 96 and reports aren't great of their product now, I'm guessing they still have the same genetics to hand but who knows.

I think Shanti sells Big Bud as Critical Mass, so maybe look at Mr Nice seeds for that. As for the Jack, Sannies Jack F6 is supposed to be close to the original, it's a lot cheaper than Sensi's version anyway.

You got an alternative breeder for regular Northern lights northwest? I would love not to have to pay that much. The 'tude' have mr nice's nl#5xafghan for £49.99 which tempts me just wanted some pure northern lights really although I will probably get the mr nice hybrid anyway

You got an alternative breeder for regular Northern lights northwest? I would love not to have to pay that much. The 'tude' have mr nice's nl#5xafghan for £49.99 which tempts me just wanted some pure northern lights really although I will probably get the mr nice hybrid anyway

I'm waiting for Northern Lights Special from KC Brains in post, they say it's the best NL yet, not bad 10 seeds for 11 quid :rofl: I'm doing them all to see what I get, I'll let you know how I get on.

I have done a few sensi strains, fem no1 was ok , fem early skunk was crap , not early and not all female.From a cutting Ed R's super bud was great and Mr Nice/g13 was fabulous. :smokin:

I'm waiting for Northern Lights Special from KC Brains in post, they say it's the best NL yet, not bad 10 seeds for 11 quid :rofl: I'm doing them all to see what I get, I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers mate although to be honest i've never been overly optimistic when it comes to KC brains for some reason. Dont know why as I never used him just being honest. Still, thats no reason as to why it cant come out really nice :guitar:

Who are Sannies mate?

Dutch breeder, if you search Sannies Jack F6 in Google all should be revealed.

No idea for the reg NL1s apart from Sensi, the old one was ace but I've repeatedly heard it's nothing like it now. Seedsman do one cheaply, no idea about them or it though. Maybe some North American breeders do one as it originates as an inbred Afghan line from there I think, but I don't know of any. Some of those Shanti NL5 crosses look more interesting to me anyway.

Ortega from Mr Nice looks interesting. NL1 x NL5 I think or perhaps just NL1. There's conflicting info out there.

I still have a lot of faith & trust in them, much of my seed collection was theirs. Were they to close it would be a sad day imo.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy their Jack Herer, Northern Lights (probably my next buy), Shiva Skunk, Aghani#1 or any other of the really big hitters. Some of their strains look a little weak, but nothing disasterous. Even in the 90's I didn't really like a few of their strains.

They have not just been resting on their laurels, the Pure Power Plant & White Label Northern Lights have been "tweaked" fairly recently afaik.

Mr. Nice's Sk#1 is said to be a "better" or really more traditional offering, but theirs is fine too. I have messed up a few sk#1 grows myself. Until fairly recently Sk#1 was rheir trademark. Imo, they have better quality control (less lemons) or more integrity than Mr. Nice.

Any way this is just my opinion, but I have given this subject a great deal of thought. It is so easy to bitch & moan about seed banks but they are definately among the best, particularly for IBL's.

So much of the quality of the dried bud is down to the grower in reality for us mortals, most of their stuff will perform well under the right conditions..

I think they've lost their way personally. I've tried to get some of their old style "Skunk No.1" and "Mr Nice (G13xhashplant)", both knocked my socks off when I first grew them out. But now, all I seem to get from Sensi is dull generic Indica hits.

It might be my lack of growing skills. But..... why do other strains perform as they are meant to, in that case? No, I think its down to Sensi losing their breeders and chasing the cash-cow. They've "Affied" everything to chase bag-appeal and bucks, and that's left everything tasting bland and hitting soft.

• Like 3

My general thoughts and concerns are the same of those as the majority that Sensi have definatly changed since years back from what i have read and sampled , sayin this tho i have a couple of Super skunks on the go at the min they were limited edition fem stock i had the vision that they selfed an exceptinal pheno of the SS and thought id give it a crack as its one vars thats always eluded me over the years of smoking and growing , im pretty impressed so far they have a lovely deep green colour to them and they absoloutly stink to high heaven when moved or brusshed against in a sim way to their original skunk#1 , i know there fems and they wasnt ment for mother stock just to smoke but i am excited in how they turn out thats for sure...

FG :v:

I know mate but i just dont keep mothers from fem stock far more chance of something going wrong down the line in my opinion as fem`s are not stable enough to hold back for a few years or what i have been told and read anyways , they where never made and intended for the purpose of mothers hence why growers who prefere them just sow and grow thats it , i might be way off the mark but sort of just how i feel like , hope your well jiffa :skin_up:

FG :v:

• Like 1