loft room

GEORGE1234

ok well ive grown in the loft for a couple of years no but the angle of trusses really restricted my head height so time to alter the room a bit

i started by insulating the roof for the eye in the sky. when room is done im gonna insulate that too and keep a good air gap between room and roof might even use a fan to keep the air cold there to prevent heat trace a bit ott but better save than sorry.

heres the pics so far my electrician is coming this week to sort my sockets ect.

post-14089-0-48845800-1306096243_thumb.jpg

post-14089-0-85386700-1306096327_thumb.jpg

Hi m8

It looks like you've done lots of hard work, I just hope you haven't made the same mistake as a friend who removed all the supporting trusses and had his roof sink by about 10 inches in the middle. That's a nice sized space but lofts are notoriously difficult to cool in the summer and heat in the winter so calculate your extraction fan size with extreme generosity. You can always turn a big fan down but if your fan is too small then it'll be working constantly and you'll find it almost impossible to regulate the temperature with any degree of accuracy. Remember safety first and make sure your loft ring circuit has a GFCI. Good luck with your grow m8 and be careful not to leave anything obvious for the electrician to find.

Kind regards

SH

• Like 1

my electrician knows the script lol. the last time he fitted its own board so everything has its own rcd. i use 2x600w in cool tubes with lights on at night and in winter i heat with v small oil radiator. with a fan wired into a room stat so if it gets mega how its getting controlled. same idea only works the other way for the oil rad. being a gas engineer/plumber has its advantages. my roof is well supported as i know the risks of cutting trusses. there stronger now than before i cut them lol. cant wait to get lights filters and my home made aeroponic system done and see how i do.

im starting with some jock horror and some critical 47 any else had any experiance with these cheers

as i cant do much until the spark comes i thought id knock a wee cloner together heres some pics

post-14089-0-93622000-1306261982_thumb.jpg

post-14089-0-77525700-1306262000_thumb.jpg

not bad for a first effort does anyone know the difference between the orange sprinkles and the green ones the green ones look like they go faster but they are closer to the pump

• 1 year later...

nice job with the trusses do you have any more pics of the truss work your loft looks a lot like mine and am struggling with centre height .

Almost all Lofties are height restricted. Mine more than most I think. I used two layers of boards with 3 layers of insulation inbetween. The top board was 22mm thick MDF. I love the insulation properties but the height is a pain in the arse. More specifically - a pain in the neck & spine (murder) It's not quite tall enough to stand upright in so you have to stoop all the time. I've got a little stool on castors which I scoot about on but only one side. When tending the other side, it's a contorted clamber at best. It's a compromise like most grow rooms, however the comment on getting bigger fans is solid advice. Dialling in a Loftie can be tricky but keep at it & you'll crack it. Happy growing.

Stay safe