My first time

Guest DeeMaxx

Guest DeeMaxx

Hi,

Great site by the way...ive learned heaps in the days i've been lurken :(

My question is..

Is there anywhere i can buy a complete soil mix that will do

my futer plants *hopefully* through veg and flower stage...

the reason i ask is, i havent got a clue about adding

fert and nuits to the soil and would be to afraid of killing the plants by overdosing them or starving them..

I would rather use a soil that has it all ready done...

I'm a complete newbie to this and would really love to give it a

try...

I can pay for it on line so if any of you know any uk based sites that do it that would be great,or even if somewhere like B&Q does something like that...that would be even better.. :(

Also would Skunk:11 fem seeds from Dutch Pasion be ok for

a first time grower?

Thanx in advance

DeeMaxx

Many commercial soils will do the job. John Innes No.2 or No.3 work fine - but be aware that these soils are NOT organic, but contain chemical ferts. I have used this to good results for four years, you just need to be aware not to to overwater. I have now gone fully organic usinf Terra-Eco soil, a recycled growing medium which looks and smells great. Will post results in due course. You can find your nearest stockist by ringing Terra-Eco on 0118 373 8784.

Alternatively you might try the link below. The Guinness compost sounds rather interesting....!

Naturalcollection.com

Some B&Qs do stock organic soil too.

Forgot to add: The Skunk will do nicely! I recommend it for first timers!! Easy to grow, nice buds that finish well fast, and a knock-out hit, what more can you ask??

How do you plan to grow? SOG, SCROG or ?????

Hope all this help

:mad:

Guest DeeMaxx

Thanx for the responce Arnold..it has been really helpfull :(

I'm gonna go for that Guinness compost it looks like the perfect choice!

As soon as i get my 400 watt HPS son t plus i'm gonna start setting up the grow room...i cant wait.. :)

I'm gona go SOG so i never run out :(

Thanx again m8 you've been a great help!

Thats about covered it then!  But can I just add that you can buy 20 litres of compost with ready mixed John Innes and Perlite from Focus for £2.50.  It has enough nutrients for 5 weeks and acts as a water and nutrient buffer.  This means it is more difficult to over/under water/feed.  My Blueberrys have been in this for a while now and seem to be loving it!  I will only be adding nutrients in the later part of the flowering stage.

And I won't be doing so until I have had lots of advice from this board - its the best advice around, these guys rule  :(

Don't be worried, just ask how much you should use and when and these guys will sort you out!  And in the unlikey event you have trouble with your plants, you can post in Problem Hotline and one of the grow team will respond as soon as they can!  And boy are they quick with their answers, theres one or more of em here pretty much 24/7!

Growing will be a fun and rewarding experience, and with experts like these around its very difficult to go wrong!

Big Respect to the Grow Team  :peace:  :(

Guest THE PUFFER

It is a nice thought though..to have all you need contained within the soil/medium. I havent looked at those mixes in the link our man Arnold kindly posted (but I will)...it can be done.

I use certain organic mixes outside that will sustain a plant for most of its life...but Im not sharing them :(

I think your best bet is to go with Arnie or splan...get a John Innes mix..put in a bit of perlite and/or vercumilte just to start you off. Always keeping an eye on the pH of the water you use, you will not need nutrients fo the first 3 weeks or so.

There isnt a cast in stone saying you have to use nutrients with soil...it just promotes more growth..meaning more buds.

:alien:

Deemax, I forgot to say something! What was it? Awe damn this short term memory thing......

...Aha! That's it - Food! Yep, oh yep, they need food. SOG should mean that you can just about get by without feeding them, {apart from mum of course}, but keep your eyes open. I use an organic feed from the local Garden Centre. If using chemicals, try them at half strength first - I have seen a DP curl up and die through overfeeding before now, and that was "according to directions"!

The other side of that is as puffer says; in the right measure, food = a happy smiling Grower!

Hi there deemaxx

J Arthur Bowers do a great organic, peat-free compost boosted with an organic fert mix that you can get at most garden centres.  I've just picked up a load for my next grow and I'm going to mix with some horse manure and perlite.  There are a load of great recipes for mixes and feeds for the various stages at http://www.organja.com - check it out, it's a great site.

Over-feeding isn't much of a worry with organic feeds as they tend to be weaker and don't have the harsh chemical burn of non-organics.  Over-watering is more of a danger for a newbie starting out with organics.

Best of luck!

:P

Yes, Icanebud is absolutely on the spot about the overwatering thing! Really, go easy on it!

Also should suggest you check PH on that Guinness compost; you want 6.5-ish.