Fast Bud Time Lapse Video

Steiner

Thanks for the comments, greengiant and se7en. For my next grow I'll do it with a single Fast Bud auto, in the middle of the studio grow room, and try and do a time lapse from sprout to harvest. I know what needs to be done now.

As for this leaf behaviour, I think what I will do is change the lighting to: on at 14:00, off at 08:00. Moving to 18/6 (from 20/4), more in line with what the plants are indicating.

I guess one of 2 things will happen;

- they will behave as they do at the moment, based on their 'internal clock' (if it really exists), wilting at 06:30, rising at 14:30, or

- they'll rise at 14:30, but collapse after 14 hours light at 04:30, then ... well, I don't know. If that happens, I'll have to change to 14/10.

We shall see.

That Time Lapse video is great mate,i think the plants actually remember the light cycle so just before the lights go off,they know, and start to relax?, thats what i think anyway.

Good luck with your next grow :skin_up:

That Time Lapse video is great mate,i think the plants actually remember the light cycle so just before the lights go off,they know, and start to relax?, thats what i think anyway.

Good luck with your next grow :skin_up:

Either that, or they withdraw when the've had enough light, don't know. At the moment they're withdrawing nearly 6 hours before lights go off.

Great vid!!!! Is this easy to do? Would love to try it :)

Cheers buddy.

Fairly easy to do ... but tricky to do very well, I think. I've made mistakes like being out-of-focus during darkness in the early part of the vid, haven't got the white balance right yet, and I need to deal with the flickering in the later part. The whole video is a composition of experiments really, and I need to decide on the best technique before the next grow.

I'd encourage anyone & everyone to do a time lapse video. It brings a bit more intelligence to your grow, the plant behaves like an animal! See how branches and bud sites aggressively compete with each other. I've learnt something about auto light cycles which isn't generally well-understood, it seems. Maybe there's more to learn about non-autos, too?

If you want to give it a go, pick up a Canon camera from ebay - needs to be one which can take an external power supply (bought separately), because it will be switched on for months. Needs to be a Canon so you can load it with the free CHDK hack, which allows you to write scripts and fully program the camera, including snapping at regular intervals. I take a pic every 15 minutes - might do a shorter interval next time, for a smoother but longer video.

Fixing your camera in place is something you'll have to think about. Could use a tripod, but there's other ways.

When you've got your thousands of photos, join them all together into a video using a free app called ffmpeg. Using this, I was able to create a HD video using stills from a 9-year-old camera (made before HD was invented!)

Terms to Google: CHDK; ffmpeg

thats ace ! thanks for upload.

You're welcome!

• Like 2

Umm, that's interesting that as I've got an old canon digi cam I don't really use, no idea if it'll take an external power supply, something to think about though :ninja:

And yup, they can have quite a hypnotic effect, I'm not as bad as I used to be, but on my 1st grow, I would sit, stare and talk to them for, well just too long, I think mrs serpent thought I was having an affair :ninja:

Yea i can vouch for that one too.:wassnnme:

Lovin the vid by the way nice to see that your gonna keep it up through flower tis ace to see the buds strech an fill before your eyes.lol

Hazy :skin_up: