D.i.y. Computer Growroom Controller

psycho

Hi all,

A computer controlled grow-room has been on my mind for a while, and last week i found a donor for an old PC (it's a fanless pentium that needed a PSU replacing, perfect)

installed linux on it, and wrote some software to controll a relay board.

So it cost me thirty quid for the pcb, but you don't need a transformer (you can take a 12v line off the computers PSU), which is expensive for a timer I grant you, but every other timer I've bought has died or failed. Using a computer as a timer I hope will be more reliable, but also I get much more resolution, plus I'm not bound to a 24 hour cycle either.

At the moment, I can present `programs` to the computer that look like

VEG 33:30

Lights on

2800 off

Pump off

1415 on

1515 off

Extraction off

REPEAT 0000 3330 15

0000 off

0010 on

END

UVB off

REPEAT 0000 2800 30

0000 off

0020 on

0025 off

END

CO2 off

REPEAT 0000 3300 15

0000 on

0005 off

END

Air ON

Circulation ON

Which will all gets unrolled into one giant list of on/offs.

At the moment, I have working software and believe that it would (in theory) work on any windows/linux computer, and would be happy to share it with anyone who wants it.

From here, i'd like to attach sensors to some of the serial ports, so that I could regulate nutrient levels, pH, temperature and the like.. if anyone can help me here, any advice taken :P

so that I could regulate nutrient levels, pH, temperature and the like

i rember reading a thread somewere discussing computer monitoring but im buggered if i can find it :P:blub: ive been thinking about something like thisbut with 1001 other projects on the go it'll have wait

edit to add

found the missing link didnt notice the more than 30 days button on the search page

Edited by Themadhippy

I too am designing a automated system , but I decided not to use a computer.

Too expensive in electricity costs , a basic pc will use about 200W x 24hr = too much money waste for me.

I will be using a dedicated mcu and designing specific hardware to drive the pumps fans lights heaters etc.

The unit will have a serial port to allow set-up etc using a PC , but will run by itself the rest of the time.

To date I think the unit will only use about 20Watt to operate

i thought a basic PC would only use about 200W at 12v

surely the 240V PSU isnt going to drain 200W to make 200W of 12V is it?

or am i reading it wrong?

good luck with all your projects :)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow got lost looking at all the links and stuff i would love to be able to control enviroment with my pc but all that went over my head :wub:

Anyway good luck with the designs

SNIPES

Edited by snipes77