Pesky Thrips

trawler1973

Hi all, my mate has just spotted small patches of silver like crap on his plants. We had a look on the net and now know the problem to be 'Thrips' or should i say "F*ck*ng Thrips...i cant believe it" to give them there proper name.

Are there any short term solutions that we could try until we have the chance to get some proper pest control (we'll get it tomorrow).

Can you name some products that we can get?

Ive heard that the best way to get rid of Thrips is to start again with a clean GR and a new batch of plants.....is this true?

Are Thrips harmful to children (and adults for that matter)

Sorry if all this is a bit blunt (but we're in a panic)

Thanks for helping out someone in dispair :)

Edited by trawler1973

• 4 weeks later...

That is one freaky coincidence. I have a thrip problem too and they've also decided to ravage my girlfriend's basil!

She seemed to think that applying soap water around the plant pots would deter them(?).

We'll have to wait and see. Otherwise I reckon I've got to disinfect the whole growing area and start again.

Hopkins.

Just one more thing I thought I'd mention, heard it on radio 4 the other day.

There is actually a thrip plague this summer in Britain!

Apparently Devon is the worst effected but ti shouldn't be a surpise if everyone notices more thrip activity.

Maybe the government should add something about thrips to their preparing for emergencies website :)