Spider Mites

ukscroger

my mate gave me some plants with a spider mite festation, he said. now im pretty sure they are, they have formed the webs and had little clusters going on on the tips of the leaves of my buds! well pissed off. ive read uglybudly's link and ganja gregs thred on control and am now a little confused....

im in week 4 of flowering some white rhino(5-6 i think), ive got 2 ,14week sats :yep: which im not sure how theyll turn out so dont mind chopping well early.....and a few other strains which should be done in a month or so, by the looks of things.

only two of the plants have really discoloured,bitten leaves, which ive shoved well clear of the others. only 1 of these had the clusters going on. the 3 good'uns are in the other corner and dont look too bad.

should i spray the roughest 2 every other day with neem oil? or all of them?

i plan to shut down and clean the bastard twice once ive got a good-ish yeild, do i need new soil?,

should i be worried about recycled soil that went into the cut pots in the veg room? will the mites survive with only a little vegetation?

is neel oil the best thing for this situation?

oh, and do i need to "screen" the oil inflow, its just 2 passive ducts at the bottom? with tights or something? whats this all about?

he told me the problem wernt usually to bad as they stuck around the bottom and didnt affect the main cola and he had lived through three grows with few problems, hmm

many thanks people

he told me the problem wernt usually to bad as they stuck around the bottom and didnt affect the main cola and he had lived through three grows with few problems, hmm

I've never heard of them staying at the bottom. Once you have the little bastards then they are almost impossible to eliminate. Neem oil is highly recommended by many but there is a thread somewhwere around about sundew plants - i don't think the little bastards are big enough to trigger a venus flytrap but sundews are about as sticky as a nice trichome-covered bud and seem to work very well.

An alternative is to get some other insects to eat them - some growshops supply Phytoseiulus, or you can search the web for that or "red spider mite control". But these won't work under 12/12.

tnx v much mate. this 1st post didnt seem to go right hence the duplicate. i plan to give everything a good clean up once these have finished.

i take it they cannot live in soil without a plant to supprot them?

Uh, nope. They can, I am told, survive even in carpets etc for year or more. When you do you clean up, clean up the Whole Room, walls, ceiling, floor the lot.

That said, I am experimenting with mite control at the mo. Too early for any results to be put up, but I can say this: Buzz-Off works better than anything else that I have tried. I have tried it out up to the last week of 12/12 {1/2 strength - spray with water the last day before harvest} and found no ill effect or taste. I don't recommend this as a normal practice though. It was only an experiment.

I find it difficult to maitain strict quarinte guidelines. I thik it always too risky to have other peoples additions to my GR.

sorry to hear the BORG PROBLEM m8 & so hard to eliminate.

im in week 4 of flowering some white rhino(5-6 i think), ive got 2 ,14week sats  which im not sure how theyll turn out so dont mind chopping well early

It would be a pitty to chop @ 14 weeks when 20 is average finish for most Stavia's.

Arnold Layne:I am experimenting with mite control at the mo. Too early for any results to be put up, but I can say this: Buzz-Off works better than anything else that I have tried.

Thats the truth - Buzz-off seems to be only good form for some control if at all!

But U got to do what is best - good luck :woot:

• 4 weeks later...