Rogers grow house

Roger the Shrubber

Looks good.

Only thing i would of done different is to put the insulation across the rafters rather than between to stop thermal bridging

look's god bro', nice pic :smokin: Got a similar project on the go :wassnnme: What is thermal bridging?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roger the Shrubber

• SexiSarh

• Scooby Snax

• marcjuna

Looks good.

Only thing i would of done different is to put the insulation across the rafters rather than between to stop thermal bridging

look's god bro', nice pic :smokin: Got a similar project on the go :wassnnme: What is thermal bridging?

Cheers. I don't know what thermal bridging is. I think veg4s was refering to the insulation between the rafters instead of having it in front of the rafters.

Looking at some of the other comments I realise I may have mislead some of you - sorry about that! :russian:

Basically, the grow room isn't the whole of the loft space you can see those 1st two photos - it's just the boxed-in area at the end of the loft space (about 1.5m x 1.5m). All of the shiny insulation between the rafters are what was originally placed there by the builders of the house (they didn't really finish it off properly).

Hopefully the last few photo I'll be uploading will make it more clearer. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for all the comments everyone by the way.

Boxing in the fan

My mate had a load of spare insulation blocks so we decided to use those to box-in the fan:

post-45988-0-13872500-1297260664_thumb.jpgpost-45988-0-77928600-1297260712_thumb.jpg

Taped it all together

post-45988-0-00320500-1297260768_thumb.jpg

and then started filling with expanding foam:

post-45988-0-50448500-1297261104_thumb.jpgpost-45988-0-45664200-1297261198_thumb.jpg

Next morning we started cutting the sides of the unit to trim it down to an easier size:

post-45988-0-42645600-1297261332_thumb.jpg

(In hindsight, we should have squashed in a last block of insulation into that gap while the foam was expanding and then taped it up)

Finally we painted it with emulsion to stop it constantly flaking away each time I brush against it:

post-45988-0-56324900-1297261798_thumb.jpg

So here's the fan unit fitted to my new grow room:

post-45988-0-14159600-1297262130_thumb.jpg

Voila!! My new grow room:

post-45988-0-42581300-1297262213_thumb.jpg

At the moment I've only got ten 1-week old seedlings in there (Automatic Hindu Kush)

Looking very nice!

Liking the fan enclosure, that's got to be a first! Never seen one done with insulation and plastic pipes, wicked :guitar:

One thing, not that it really matters, but you could wrapped the fan in shrink wrap or something similar. :wassnnme: Good job tho!

Good luck with your grow :B):

• 1 month later...

Looking good there Roger. Tell me, is your fan RVK? how has your soundproofing lowered the sound levels?

Cheers kushmonster!

I bought the fan from Greens - it was a RUCK Fan & Rhino Pro Filter package.

Yes, the sound-proofing made a big difference. I also used acoustic ducting. I can just about hear it if I go in the room directly underneath at night time. However, if I could really be bothered, I could get rid of that noise by removing the vibration by either putting some kind of soft padding underneath or by suspending the whole thing on bungy-cords. I'll probably make some adjustments once the current autos have finished in a couple of weeks time.

Cheers,

Rog

Looking very nice!

Liking the fan enclosure, that's got to be a first! Never seen one done with insulation and plastic pipes, wicked :guitar:

One thing, not that it really matters, but you could wrapped the fan in shrink wrap or something similar. :wassnnme: Good job tho!

Good luck with your grow :B):

Cheers redhaze. Yeah, you're probably right there. If I ever need to get back into fan, it'll probably be a nightmare trying to get all the expanding foam off it! :doh:

Oh well, let's hope I never have to open it up.

Thanks for the tip though - If I ever do it again I'll have learned my lesson.

• 2 months later...