Creepy Crawlies

space is deep

I just noticed loads of tiny creatures in the compost of one of my plants! They're like little white maggots, but about a tenth of the size ;):ninja:

I mashed the top layer of the compost up to try and bury or squash them but not sure if it's worked. Any ideas what they could be and what to do about them? The plant has just started flowering but it's not a very good one so I don't mind throwing it out if I have to. There are no bugs on the plant itself or on the other one that has about a week to go.

I just noticed loads of tiny creatures in the compost of one of my plants! They're like little white maggots, but about a tenth of the size 
I mashed the top layer of the compost up to try and bury or squash them but not sure if it's worked

Did you see any squirming movments or strange noises ?

What ever your growing & whatever your infesttion was it has gone now.

"Spooky thoughts of Alians"

:):spliff::smoke:

What ever your growing

Tomatoes :unsure:

& whatever your infesttion was it has gone now.

There are none on the surface now but they are still alive underneath. :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

i think i have the same (come out when watered and can jump) but i see them

everywhere not just gr. aint gotta clue what they are but they don't seem to be

doing anything(i hope).

This comes up about once a month in summer. If they are like in the pic below:---

post-116-1081361418.jpg

They are spring tails and harmless. They are found in most soils, compost and even get into hydro systems. Most people don't even see them, there are billions in every square metre of the planets top soil.

• 3 weeks later...

I am soooooooo fecking glad I read this topic - noticed these in one of my plants the other night and have been absolutely keeking it ever since! glad they're harmless - thanks guys and gals - put my mind at rest... just going home to rejig the veg room and put 6 ladies into flowering :ninja: nice one...

• 5 weeks later...
Guest justagrower

OT1 - do these things turn into tiny little flies as a couple of years ago I noticed these (well, they looked like the very small ones) but every time I have had them there are little flies that come into the room as well. The first time I left them and the plant that was infected had really bad flower growth at the end of the grow compared to the non-infected plants - could there be any other maggot like creatures as I am starting to think it was a coincidence now that you have posted that.

The grow shop in my area is selling some clue liquid for these things, maybe he is cryiing wof to get some cash?

Edited by justagrower

probly fungus gnats jag :(

realtivley harmless and can be controlled with a 20mm layer of sharp sand on top your compost... :smoke: stop the wee beggars laying theyre eggs...

pic:

post-116-1091124901.jpg

Edited by MDP

Guest justagrower

I really don't thnnk so m8 - ot1's pic looks like them apart from the big mother but they were at the bottom of the coco coir. I will leave a plant the next time I get them to see if it was a coicidence as the guy I buy the liqud to kill them from charges £10 for 100 mls (I get the feeling I have been taken for a ride on this but....)

• 2 weeks later...
I really don't thnnk so m8 - ot1's pic looks like them apart from the big mother but they were at the bottom of the coco coir. I will leave a plant the next time I get them to see if it was a coicidence as the guy I buy the liqud to kill them from charges £10 for 100 mls (I get the feeling I have been taken for a ride on this but....)

They could be thrip larvae, whcih look like ot1's piccie but you'd need some sort of magnification to view them so that they appear the same size in the pics. Once they mature they fly and scuttle along the leaves. They cause a bastard load of damage and leave honeydew which also attracts mold spores. Not nice. High humidity and predators will sort those, else spray.

Whats the name of the liquid he's flogged you?

tt