Visit Scotland

Cambium

Great pics J4amie and Underwater :)

Here's one of us enjoying a spectacular West coast, summer sunset :bong: Taken a good few years back, near Ullapool

post-33371-0-53820800-1296256112_thumb.jpg

Boojum. Try the Sunart Oakwoods, near Loch Moidart. Temperate rainforest at it's finest. I'll try and scurry out some pics.

• Like 1

loch Garry wasn't the best pike fishing for me we had the boat out but only got one, they have salmon breeding cages in it i thought it would have been teeming with pike.

Got jacks all friggin day on the fly up the top end of the Garry, even in fast water. The morning was a write off but in the afternoon we got two massive brownies - stayed out until about three waiting for salmon in the most atrocious autumn midge storm ever. Didn't get one.

Loch arkiag & loch lochy have massive pike, as do some of the lochs further up the skye road.

used to drive from fort willam to skye on a friday and fish for everything long the way,sea, rivers, loch & sealochs and then dack down on the sunday.

Caught a few very small trout on Rannoch Moor in Loch Laidon, great walk over from Rannoch Station to Kingshouse Hotel in Glencoe. Not soo good camping in the middle of the moor when the midges are in full attack though.

Are there red deer stags on Rannoch Moor ? The name seems to bring to mind stags (A Simon King thing, perhaps - I love Simon King, a truly great wildlife photographer). I'd really love to see red deer stags :grubsup: Seen a few female deer in Scotland (really near human habitation too), and it's a magical thing for a bloke who lives on the edge of suburbia and comes from a pretty urban area. To see a stag would proper blow my mind :stoned:

I get to see kestrels here, when I walk up on the downs, and that is always a really special moment ;)

Edited by Boojum

Are there red deer stags on Rannoch Moor ? The name seems to bring to mind stags (A Simon King thing, perhaps - I love Simon King, a truly great wildlife photographer). I'd really love to see red deer stags :( Seen a few female deer in Scotland (really near human habitation too), and it's a magical thing for a bloke who lives on the edge of suburbia and comes from a pretty urban area. To see a stag would proper blow my mind :)

I get to see kestrels here, when I walk up on the downs, and that is always a really special moment :)

Yes, Glencoe is full of red deer, I have seen a few on Rannoch Moor but not close up, a lot of deer hang about the car park at The Kingshouse Hotel, Ive a load of pics, I'll put them up later on , all of them taken from the hotel and from the room. I would visit the hotel if you ever get a chance.

Edited by darkblue

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I think Cambium is up there at the moment so hopefully we'll get some new pics when he gets back.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest RandyBoBandy

i would love to go scotland, my dads mum was scotish, she was alcoholic and i remember as a kid when she used to phone me half pist, i could not understand a word lol realy srtong accent.. my accent is london but i feel my heart is scottish, weird... cant explain... bit mashed right now, but i will take my gf and kid scotland one day

those pics are great, really wetting my appetite for my first scottish holiday next summer, going to the isle of Bute for my Gran's 90th birthday, as a dyed in the wool southerner am really looking forward to doing a bit of exploring north of the border in the camper.

any rec's for overnight stops welcome

Going back maybe 8/10 yrs, we stayed at Bute Castle for our christmas/new year holiday :) The old crofters cottages had all been renovated into the way that they were when used by the employees at the castle.... We took the dog, and she had a full run of the grounds too...

It sticks out vibrantly in my mind as I found a "Secret Garden" The walls were 10ft and it had to be the size of half a footy pitch! When I found the entrance, I walked into a thoroughly overgrown area that Nature had taken care of...wild flowers running amok, it was beautiful...

Sadly the castle and its 11 cottages went up for sale the following yr and stopped renting the cottages :(

But regardless we still try to hit the Highlands for crimbo and the New Year...has to be the most friendly and warm hearted place to be at that time of year :)

Guest Mrs Thicky

It looks stunning - I've been up in the Cairngorms and it has the same look about it - no sign of civilisation and feeling like the first human on the planet :)

Aaah Scotland, my old friend lol

post-33371-0-89694400-1313188354_thumb.jpg

Nice one, I have only done Lomond and the Cobbler, got some pics I will put up later today, could you tag the hills you are posting so I know what ones they are?