New growroom

xxredbeardxx

Just finished building my first growroom, it's in a cellar, fully sealed, Kingspan'd and exp foam'd to death. Only thing is, it's a noisy devil. Have uploaded shots of how i've set it up, with arrows and stuff showing where trouble parts are. I've got and inline fan on a silencer sucking air through ducting on 2 x coolshades, which then meets a metal T. On one side of this T is the carbon filter, attached to another inline fan, which meets the T, and all the hot air, and all the smelly air goes through more duckting to a vent leading outside. The inline fan on the filter is hellish noisy, and the floor upstairs has a bit of vibration.

Have read that maybe attaching bungees to the filter/fan instead of fastening it to the underneath of the joice would help, and also wrapping the fan in a bag, then putting it in a box and filling it with expanding foam would help, so any other ideas would be a big big help.

Have a look at the pictures, and see if there's any other things i can change/improve.

Oh, and it's on a pay-as-you-go meter, which in the two days it's been up and running, has cost a fiver a day - is this normal?! And will this have the electricity people knocking on the door?!

Cheers.

post-58015-1284980831_thumb.jpg post-58015-1284980856_thumb.jpg post-58015-1284980881_thumb.jpg

Just finished building my first growroom, it's in a cellar, fully sealed, Kingspan'd and exp foam'd to death. Only thing is, it's a noisy devil. Have uploaded shots of how i've set it up, with arrows and stuff showing where trouble parts are. I've got and inline fan on a silencer sucking air through ducting on 2 x coolshades, which then meets a metal T. On one side of this T is the carbon filter, attached to another inline fan, which meets the T, and all the hot air, and all the smelly air goes through more duckting to a vent leading outside. The inline fan on the filter is hellish noisy, and the floor upstairs has a bit of vibration.

Have read that maybe attaching bungees to the filter/fan instead of fastening it to the underneath of the joice would help, and also wrapping the fan in a bag, then putting it in a box and filling it with expanding foam would help, so any other ideas would be a big big help.

Have a look at the pictures, and see if there's any other things i can change/improve.

Oh, and it's on a pay-as-you-go meter, which in the two days it's been up and running, has cost a fiver a day - is this normal?! And will this have the electricity people knocking on the door?!

Cheers.

post-58015-1284980831_thumb.jpg post-58015-1284980856_thumb.jpg post-58015-1284980881_thumb.jpg

I'm afraid it's a case of suck it and see, as they say. BUT: if you have something that vibrates (eg a fan) touching something solid (eg a joist) then it will carry the vibration and hence sound.Try suspending the fan or resting it on some sort of cushion to absorb the vibration. Something else you can/should try is to get a fan speed controller (from local electrical suppliers, not from hydro shop) and run the fans at less than full capacity. You may need to get bigger fans to obtain the desired throughput of air from a less than 100% fan, but it sure reduces noise/vibaration.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll move the fans away from the wall, and bang some padding in, or suspend them. Reducing the fan speed sounds like a good idea, i'll go do some shopping this week and get the right bits and bobs.

Thanks for the help!

no wonder your having sound problems, if you switch the T ducts to Y ducts then that would help,theyre more free flowing & less noisy.

you should also consider switching your ducting to the acoustic kind, it really does makes a difference.

any chance of some other pics of your ducting from below looking directly up at it ?

• 3 months later...

Cheers.

i did a big grow the once.an had the same prob .so i put a 4x4 peice of wood across the room just below the roof.there was no more vibrations.i also used sound proof ducting aswell.my fans were 12"already in boxes.but were to loud still. so i got all the old bedsheets i could find.an wraped the fans up.i actually wrapped them in bubble wrap fist then the sheets.then more bubble wrap.an it worked a treat.an as i allways tell otherr growers only use 2x 600w u dont need no more .plus u will get busted.hope ive been a help 2 u

yeah, wrapping fans in bubble and quilt/sheeting works, especially in combination with hanging em on bungee elastic. i made a box (with holes cut for intake/output) and filled it with bubble and other packing stuff, them quaver (the crisps) looking packing stuff, screwed 3 self tapping hooks into top and hung box using bungee. its a ten inch fan and you can't hear it, never mind feel it even on full throttle:-)

that acoustic ducting is expensive and i can see you have already got quite a bit in place so it might pay to wrap the ducting in bubble and/or insulation. also try and avoid too many bends in your ducting as this causes noise...

also i personally think them cool-tubes are crap, just more ducting to mess about with and you are in a cellar so controlling temp shouldn't cause any problems as long as your ventilation is up to scratch...

good luck with it, hope it goes well.

YDL

quote]i did a big grow the once.an had the same prob .so i put a 4x4 peice of wood across the room just below the roof.there was no more vibrations.i also used sound proof ducting aswell.my fans were 12"already in boxes.but were to loud still. so i got all the old bedsheets i could find.an wraped the fans up.i actually wrapped them in bubble wrap fist then the sheets.then more bubble wrap.an it worked a treat.an as i allways tell otherr growers only use 2x 600w u dont need no more .plus u will get busted.hope ive been a help 2 u

surely you needed more than 2x600w for a BIG grow thcdemon....? lol