Computer Monitoring

De Fumar

I've been toying with the idea of setting up a pc to monitor the conditions in my growroom. No fancy stuff like switching fans on and off or nutrient dosing, just logging temperature and humidity to a database or excel.

The part I am finding difficult is sourcing a thermometer and hygrometer that will attach to my pc, a quick search for a usb thermometer on Google comes up with nothing except a DIY kit to build your own. Does anyone know of any USB devices like this, or does anyone have a similar system in place?

After a few hours of searching, all I could come up with was this.

Ribbit

DF

The i-button 1 wire system perhaps?

http://www.ibutton.com/

They have "thermocrons" and a boat load of other stuff ("weather station"). When I looked into it it was about £20 for a thermocron and an PC interface so quite cheap. There is an api for programming languages too IIRC.

Nice one Mickle, surely one to consider. It would be interesting to know if anyone has used the i-button devices before.......

I'm still very surprised that nobody makes a simple USB thermometer, it would be useful for keeping an eye on server room temperature, never mind growroom temp.

DF

I have a computer monitored grow room...sort of.

I sit at the computer all day, and 4 feet to my left is my GR, being constantly monitored by moi :wassnnme:

I sit at the computer all day, and 4 feet to my left is my GR, being constantly monitored by moi

:yinyang: not quite the same Spliffy :bangin:

I'm still very surprised that nobody makes a simple USB thermometer, it would be useful for keeping an eye on server room temperature, never mind growroom temp.

Totally agree DF, I can't find anything on the web that will do this simple job, think you may have found a 'hole' in the market, better patent that idea fast. :wassnnme:

your on the job spliffy,

keep one eye on em and one on the screen. do you have a button or a shortcut for a water ?

Totally agree DF, I can't find anything on the web that will do this simple job, think you may have found a 'hole' in the market, better patent that idea fast. 

I think software material (ie code) would be done by this mob (first URL by De Fumar Posted on Apr 18 2004, 04:21 AM)

I'll folow with interest - I'm over being a programmer but like 'databases' (MS Access & SQL & Note Books ect) now into Network Administration & Networks :spliff:

:ninja:

I have a computer monitored grow room...sort of.

I sit at the computer all day, and 4 feet to my left is my GR, being constantly monitored by moi :smoke:

:wassnnme: :bunny:

Guest Red Dragon

For any sort of environmental logging, look no further than your local Maplins Electronics store...or online, under the "PC based data acquisition" heading!

RD

I've got some control and monitoring plans for the new grow room design, currently i'm only on my first grow (in a NFT 205) but i've really got the bug for it now..........Anyway I think i'm going to build a gully type ebb and flow system, and control the fans, lights, and pumps with a PIC microcontroller and hook that up to the parallel port of my Linux PC (then I can write a nice interface ) along with temperature and ph monitoring. This in combo with a time-lapse webcam video B)

The reason for overdoing it so much is that is like to be able to do flushing automatically (its all about the automation!). I'd like two tanks one for ph adjusted water and one for nutes, and then T-junction's and solinoid valves to control where the water comes from (and returns to) This will mean I need two pumps, but there not that expensive and i've allready got one. This is more of a long term goal though and I intend to do this after everything else.

Its all a bit complicated and it won't all happen at once, but i've got all summer at my disposal :starwars: