What Can I Do About The Smell !

McEndo

Hi All

What a great site this is, I'm well impressed some great tips, the 'Cream of the Crop' is inspiring to say the least!! .... Anyway let me introduce myself I'm McEndo and I'm on my 2nd grow now, down in my cellar, one problem...... it stinks the whole house out! What can i do, ventilation is ok, i have a small extractor with ducting going outside onto the back garden but the pong seems to travel up the stairs into my kitchen and the rest of the my house. I have heard about an ioniser but they can be expensive, has anybody had any experience of these devices, do they really work? can anyone recommend a particular unit?

Cheers,

McEndo

Welcome to the boards, mate (sorry, can't really help with your Q, other than to maybe suggest a carbon filter, but that would probably require a more powerful extractor) - there'll be someone more qualified than myself to answer you soon, just wanted to say hello & welcome :thisbig:

by the sound of it, you'd be better off getting a sodding great centrifugal fan and a carbon filter - that'll get rid of 99% of the pong. Ionisers do work to some extent, but I've never heard of them being totally effective on their own :thisbig:

Guest nav182

HI McEndo

First of welcome, secondly my advice (And most of it comes from reading lots of grow books) is that carbon filter & extractor fan is the only way to go. I use both and it's woth the money cos it definatley kills the pong. I brought the smallest carbon filter (CF160) £64 and extractor fan (RVK 100) £79 I could get (Both way overpowered for what I needed but I thought better have overkill than have the place reeking). Apparently I also payed a little over the asking price as well so you can probably get it cheaper if you look around.

Hope that's of some use to you

Nav

but until you can get hold of one of those, might I recommend Neutradol plugin airfresheners for every room in the house. They get rid of the smell, rather than mask it. You can often find them in pound shops, so it won't break the bank.

Carbon filter, big fuckoff inline fan are the way to go though, because the air you are extracting out is going to stink of it, and because the fan is sucking the air out of the room, it stops the stink heading upstairs.

Gonna cost you well over 100 quid for those though. Don't buy a 2nd hand carbon filter, cos the charcoal in them only works for so long.

alright m8, sorry about the pong, good luck with the grow.

is the pong not due to the pressure levels, being positive, and leaking out.

are you just growing in the cellar or have you built a growroom m8?

Hey thanks guys some very helpful advice there, sounds like the carbon filter is the way to go, i'll have a look on the web and see if i can get a good deal, will keep you posted.

Yeah i've tried air fresheners they're okay but need something a bit more heavy duty. It's not really a proper grow room, just a sectioned part of my cellar with black and white, ideally i want to hide the grow room side of the cellar behind a door so even if the gasman comes to read the gas meter he ain't gonna suspect anything. :wassnnme:

I was channel hopping the other day and came across an advert on one of the dodgy shopping channels (yeah i was bored!), they were advertising something called a 'PerfectAir' which the're floggin for £49.99 just thought this might do the trick, they do offer your money back if not totally satisfied maybe i should give it a go? Phone number is *removed* if anyone else is interested ;)

McEndo

Edited by G-Whizz!

thats why I suggested neutradol mate. Normal airfresheners just mask the smell, that stuff actually gets rid of it. give it a try, it will be better than nothing till you get your carbon filter and inline extractor sorted