Something Eating My Plants!

KenAbyss

I had several seedlings in the loft varying in size from 1" to 6" and all, bar one, have been chopped off at soil level and eaten or taken by some kind of animal or bird, I don't know which. There are a few leaves scattered around the area but not much evidence of my beauties left at all.

I had intended to do an outdoor grow but as I'm now down to one plant and the season is upon us it looks as though I'm not going to make it (by the time I get more seeds, germinate etc.) However my main worry is how to get rid of the little bastards that are ruining the crop so as I can clean the place out for an indoor grow later on. At a guess I would say that they are either mice, rats or birds. I caught a mouse in the house last summer and have seen no sign of anything since.

If anyone knows what might be doing this and the best way to deal with it I would appreciate some info. Are the plug in vermin repellant boxes that give off a high pitched sound any good and will they work for birds also? Any assistance is appreciated.

Hey Ken........

I Would Check For Ne Unwanted Kritter Holes Which These Pests Can Get Through.

Number Two Get Some Mouse Traps And Set Em Up With Some Greens(Lettuce etc) And Cheese. Should Catch The Kritter Red Handed And Should Indicate What It Is. If It Takes The Cheese Its A Mouse, If It Takes The Greens Its A Squirral Or Bird.

As For Those Plug In Kritter Killers. They Should Keep Out Mice And Other Rodents But As For Birds Im Not Sure.... Remember Thats How Birds Communicate, Through High Pitched Noises And Beeps.

Hope This Helps

FTM

Also Where Im At Its Spring Time And Birds Are Out Lookin For Things To Build Nests etc. So Remember That.

Thanks for the advise ForTheMuziq.

Since the post I've caught two mice in traps so at least I know what vermin I'm dealing with. I just hope that there isn't a whole "mice hippie" commune up there waiting for more ganga to be delivered. If I catch any more I'll invest in one of the plug in jobs. I suppose I'd better leave the holes unblocked for a few days to give them a chance to haul ass outa there.

I just hope that there isn't a whole "mice hippie" commune up there waiting for more ganga to be delivered.

:yep: damn beatnik rodents get everywhere.....

i`d go with spliffys advice and get a moggy, even a few days should be enuf to deter even the bravest hippy mouse :)

Hmm, it depends - psychoactive chemicals can have an odd effect on rodents ;)

I had a problem with a mouse a while back. One of my cats kindly brought it home unscathed and deposited it in my girlfriends boots. When she discovered it (with her foot), it escaped into the kitchen, and ran amok among the cutlery drawers for about a fortnight.

So, lacking a mousetrap, and the cats being too stoned and lazy to do anything about it, I set about dealing with it, using what I had to hand - that being some bread, soaked in milk, with a rather powerful acid tab (Hoffman if I remember right).

This did not have the desired effect (i.e: mouse drops dead from shock, or just sits there, tripping its tits off so I can remove it) - this did, infact, turn the mouse into some superintelligent bastard mouse that resisted all attempts to kill it for about a month - even managing to remove food from the traps that I bought without setting them off.

The cat did actually get hold of it at one point, and then dropped it again, and went very quiet for about a day and a half - I am fairly sure that it was tripping also.

Eventually my superior intellect won out, when I glued the food to the trap :)

The moral of this story - never underestimate a mouse on drugs

Up to three o clock yesterday I had caught three mice. The third mouse was still alive in the trap with a broken neck which was a bit of a bummer so I decided to go to town and get an ultrasonic ghetto blaster. I set the blaster and re-set the mouse trap at the same time and I'm glad to report that the trap was empty this morning. I'd say they have packed their knapsacks and pissed off to the neighbours for the easter.

The manafacturers of the blaster maintain it will keep away "rats, mice, wasps, cockroaches, moths, fleas, flies, crickets, silverfish, waterbugs, ants and most other common pests." It cost €22 and runs on two watts of leckky. I wonder will it do for mites etc?

Next time OMH paint the trap with psychedelic colours, that should ensure he trips to the rodents great acid party in the sky.

So, lacking a mousetrap, and the cats being too stoned and lazy to do anything about it, I set about dealing with it, using what I had to hand - that being some bread, soaked in milk, with a rather powerful acid tab (Hoffman if I remember right).

This did not have the desired effect (i.e: mouse drops dead from shock, or just sits there, tripping its tits off so I can remove it) - this did, infact, turn the mouse into some superintelligent bastard mouse that resisted all attempts to kill it for about a month - even managing to remove food from the traps that I bought without setting them off.

The cat did actually get hold of it at one point, and then dropped it again, and went very quiet for about a day and a half - I am fairly sure that it was tripping also.

Eventually my superior intellect won out, when I glued the food to the trap

Class dude , /me makes a mental point , never give drugs to rodents

Hopefully Soon

Uglybudly,

how long did it take to clear the loft of the rats? I have some indoor seedlings that I want to leave under my HID in the loft but as I have lost over twenty outdoor seedlings already to the mice I want to make sure the bastards are gone.