whey hey finally an indoor grower :)

thewhoami

HIgh fellow growers (finally)  :)

I just got a big built in cupboard freed up, for MJ in my flat this week ,hooray !! and have been given a couple o 8 inch high plants, early pearl x skunk no 1 , i hav'nt got a light yet in fact no equipment atall, :blush: i wasn't expecting to start straight away but i couldnt say no to the gift, and as ive only ever grown outdoors this old duffer will be asking ur advice along with the other newbie indoor growers.

Is there such a thing as a grow bulb that plugs into a ceiling light socket ?? bayonet or screw ??

and if there is such a thing how good are they ??

;)  :peace:

TW

WoooHooooo!

Nice one whoami.

Compact flouros (energy saving bulbs) do great for vegging, you need quite a few tho'. Get the highest output wattage you can (the smaller number on the packet) also look for the lumens rating the best I've seen over here are around 1500 lumens......not bad for a coupla quid.

Good luck m8 :oldtoker:

For flowering - you'll need an hps as the fluoros won't cut it - intensity wise and they all need a wing-light with remote ballast from hydro-shops - growell aren't the cheapest (fastlight are) but are plug and play - and the components are high quality - reassuring, when they spit out the kind of heat that they do.

The compact fluoros are are good option in confined spaces - but suffer from low lumen output compared to tube fluoros - I bought some for £6 each at B&Q - which put out 7000 lumens each - but they're 5' - the most efficient length for electrical use v. lumen output.

The type of light you will need will depend on the footprint of your floorspace and how many plants you want to grow, not just now - but in future grows too - and the method of growing will depend on the height restrictions and personal preference - I'm guessing if you've already got them - it'll be pots in soil.

You'll also need some reflective material, timers, a temp and humidity dial, a fan and some method of exhausting air from the space - which will also take the smell right down too.

Cheap lights and components - about £100 should do it - £200 for higher quality lights and bits and pieces.

tata!

Nice one whoami..... :oldtoker:

Tell me this built-in cupboard is part of a 2-bed Victorian terraced house....?You got ventilation to the loft....?

If this is true you're in good company.....we got many experts on that same space round here....

If not ,as hp says, tell us your dimensions and dream of grrreeeennnnn...... :thumbs:

Mono....x

cheers peeps

the space is a shelf fitted into the cupboard, the worktop shelf is 4 ft wide and 2 and half ft deep and about 6ft from the ceiling, light socket directly above ( hence me asking about ceiling lights) there is a plug socket too tho. The actual cupboard is 4 ft square and 10 ft high.

The plants are in pots (good guess HP)  :) and atm are following the sun through me windows. I'm in a second/top floor flat and me cupboard is tucked away from any rooms and visitors, (separate door in the hall). I have no useble roof space for venting :( ...

Ill get there tho heh heh :)

I shall nip down to b&q and grab a compact fluro, some bigger pots and soil for now and soon invest in future grows wid a decent set up.

thanks dudes  

TW

;)  :peace:

Guest THE PUFFER

:)  :cool:  ;)

Bud..spend the £150 odd quid at growell getting a HPS...the sooner the better...you won't regret it. Is it that cupboard you were thinking of last time I was down there ? If so PM me and I'll give you a 'set-up list' to get you fully on the road with minimum outlay.

:peace:

Nice one whoami lol

I'm gonna slightly differ from the (esteemed) puffer and say I'd go with one or two Fastlight 400Ws.  I've got a really old 2nd hand light that I've messed with the ballast and igniter on, it's no worries on any front and I'd cheerfully strip a ballast from an industrial light.  If you can wire a plug you're all set.

I'd also say that there's something of a debate raging about reflectors with horizontal orientation vs vertical with no reflector (other than a mylared roof).  All the massive commercial grows in British Columbia seem to use the latter method and when you see some of the photos on OG you can see why.

I shall nip down to b&q and grab a compact fluro, some bigger pots and soil for now and soon invest in future grows wid a decent set up.

ermmmm...i was thinking more than one m8 :P  :D

and as mentioned already not so good for flowering, I was just trying to give you a quick fix while you got something else sorted. They're better off in natural light than under a single compact fluro....even in drab old angleterre :D

i havent tried growell lights, but i have to say that you do get what you pay for with lighting. fastlight are cheap, but they arent remote ballast leading to more heat, also cheap lighting will not come with good bulbs...and bulbs can make a big difference in spectrum. there are specific hps and mh bublbs that are better than the regular one (can't remember which). lighting bought from proper grow shops, whilst more expensive is better, you get good bulbs and reliability. i have a hps i bought from seed  bank in fulham...i could have got cheaper but they come with 1 yr full guarantee, and this is why:

i was lending the light to a friend whilst not growing myself....his cellar flooded unbeknown to him. the ballast was on the floor and submerged. you might expect disaster, but once the ballast was no longer submerged it worked fine and has ever since.  you gets what you pays for.

also in cupboards cooling is very easy.

i'll post a link at the bottom to a pic of a sketch, but i'll explain here.

put a false back in and divide it in 2 horizontally. in the real back cut slots/drill holes in the opposite side the fans will be (offset prevents light leakage). mount fans in the false back (120mm pc fans are good...you can also get quiet fans from www.quietpc.com ) the air should come in the bottom and go out the top. use ducting on the bottom fans so the air enters at the front so it circulates more. the electrics (especially important if using pc fans as u need a psu and they get hot) inc ballast, timers, etc...then go in a seperate area in the cab...this is cooled with fans if u want or just use venting. this keeps the electrics out of the way, so heat is down and if you seal the bottom edges, then less spill problems. the top needs to be removable or hinged for access though. hopefully the pic should give you a better idea.

sketch of cab/cupboard grow

of course you need to modify it to your own requirements.

if you want me to i can sketch out some plans for air cooling a cupboard/cab's lighting...a little harder to do but better.

cheers peeps

ICaneBud  ill pm ya mate nice one ;)

Im using the sunshine atm for light as we gettin so much lately, and they growing well they 7 ins or so and doing well nice healthy green. Lights ill get to, but skint atm

Nice one Dr.Green.Jnr

i hadn't really thought out a cooling solution as this grow has come on faster than originally intended, due to being donated these plants  (i had to give em a home)  

:peace:  :oldtoker:

vertical with no reflector?

does this mean pulling apart the light and just sticking it thru a hole (very simplified i know) kind of like a conventional light bulb but mounted in a grow space?

if this method works and is safe it could help me alot as i have a 70watt hps floodlight in a small wardrobe. fastlight sell cheapy 15-250 w hps' that won't fit in my grow space so would stripping them and mounting  the bulb in verticlly  be ok?

• 2 weeks later...

HIgh

update !!

The girlies are 30cms or so high now and have pairs of nice white pistals all over the top 2 levels (cant remember the techie name), Things going ok still havent got a light tho!! A friend of mine has purchased a mega high lumin output Fluro, it supposed to be excellent for vegging and for Budding and only costs 1p an hr to run, anybody know about em ?? ill try and find out the name of the light ??

Does MJ continue to grow to its full hieght even once its started budding at 30 cms ??

cheers

:peace:  :angry:  :alien:

ill try and borow a digi cam and post a pickie :cool: