Carbon Filter Idea

TOKIN TARQUIN

hi everyone

i have decided to use this for a carbon filter

any advice, improvements or criticisms welcome

i am a newbie so trial and error

i have noticed people using various things mostly cooker hood filters but i have found this and think it will offer less resistance to the fan than using a cooker filter

it is the flower pots that are used for pond plants

i plan to fill one with carbon (roughly 1 kilo) about 2 inches high and then cut the top of another pot ( 2 inches) so it sits on top of carbon in the first pot so thyey are flush with each other and the carbon is seperated from fan

apart from 2 inches at bottom of pot shown on pic which is full of carbon the rest of it will be covered in duck tape this will give a space of 3inches between the carbon and the fan and also make sure the air has to come through the 2inch of carbon before leaving the room

the pots i am using is 9in x9in and 5in deep

now for the Qs

does anyone think this will work if so it is only £2.50 plus the carbon and they have different sizes so it could be easily adaptable for all rooms

would i be best filling it all with carbon instead of having gap and using duck tape

how much carbon is sufficient for 10 plants in 30in by 33in space 6 feet tall

i am growing FDM 50/50 at the moment but would like to be able to grow any strain with out worrying

also can you use to much i mean apart from weakening the fan effiecency can it damage plants or anything

also any suggestions on how to attach it to the cieling so it can be removed and carbon replaced and airtight

thanks

TT

post-102-1079573722.jpg

the white in last pic is the back of the tape

this is a side pic so you can see holes

ps.. does my plan make sense to anybody it sounds allright in my head not to sure on the screen

post-102-1079574219.jpg

thats spot on that idea mate

thanks for diagram as well

il do that tomorrow

thanks

TT

ps. do you think that will be enough carbon ive only got half a kilo at the moment 1inch thick i am going to buy more tomorrow to make 2 inch do i need to buy more or is 1 inch ok

forgot to add before the bottom of the pot is 7in x 7in it is the top that is 9in

the white in last pic is the back of the tape

this is a side pic so you can see holes

ps.. does my plan make sense to anybody it sounds allright in my head not to sure on the screen

i've been thinking about the same thing t.... :smoke:

i'm in no rush so progress is a bit slow.......

i'm not sure if it'll work, but i thought of the same kinda thing as you .....

post-102-1079604274.jpg

hi SR

i like the second idea i am thinking of something similar for next grow

to save head space i want something like that so i can put it in the attic above GR and have the inlet of fan attached with no ducting

i only have 6 feet in height so that will be a better long term option

thanks m8

anyone else got any carbon ideas

might be usefull to have a post full of different ideas

that way everyone will find the one that suits there space and needs without paying through the roof

thanks

TT