Some Advice Needed On Coco Products.

Casey Jones

I'm considering switching to coco in autopots for my next grow, but am currently using H & G Batmix soil in autopots and would like some idea on

a) How much extra yield would I get per plant on say a 4ft plant if using coco over soil?

b) What brand of coco feed to get and how much to get for 8 plants? As I've never used coco I really have no idea how much I will need.

c) Would I need to get the whole range?

Edited by tywyn

coco wont get you more yield on a 4 foot plant mate, it will just get you there quicker... coco is a hydro medium... so expect hydro veg growth... it will easily knock a week off your veg time.

i would suggest Hesi Nutes... and any premium quality coco coir

Oh, I was under the impression that using a hydro medium would yield more than a soil grow :wassnnme: Taking account of a grostar in a DR120 it's really not possible to grow anything taller than about 4ft, so I might as well stick with soil if the only advantage would be saving a weeks veg, unless there's any other reason? The cost of a coco grow is about 2x that of soil grow, so I might as well spend the cash saved on killerskunk seeds instead.

• 1 month later...

I have tried hesi after using canna and hesi is better. Then i did a hesivs canadian xpress and hesi comes up winner too..

I will do other trials in time but at the moment I will finish all the canadian xpress products before I invest in another range....

I think that you can get a bit more yield from coco but the main advantage is that the structure of coco means that is full of air which is paramount for weed. It is more forgiving than other hydro systems...

As Mr cocofibrelover says it will get you there quicker. For logistik reassons I reuse coco a few times.

I let the plants drink all the water until coco is dry then I shake it by the stem and it all comes down loose from the roots and pass it thru mesh. then I flush it beyond believe(measure ph and EC from run off and when those two are same as tap water I stop).

Then I let it dry. After that the texture is exactly the same as when it was new. When I pot plants I use enzymes to dissolve into sugars any bits of root that may have gone thru sieve. After 3 uses I put new one. coincides with shoping trip to the indoor mall.

Hope it helps

forgot to say that by reusing coco I don't have to eliminate the remnants( pot shaped compost) every month.

Although the process seems a bit of a pain it isn't as I have a beautiful utility room with massive sink/drain. Easy.

Peace

Mate you'll defo get more yield, you can also use smaller pots, and less veg time, and still get more than you would in soil. So you'll save in nutes and coco. With rooted clones in say a 4lt pot, a 4-5 week veg under a 400w lamp is good. You'll want to water more often, people seem to knock them, but I don't get any probs with a recir drip system. I find them to be PH stable and they produce huge yields. My 400w vert knocks out between 12-14 oz dry per grow and the only effort is replacing the nutes once a week.

Go for it