Is It Worth Making My Own Ballast?

Yoda

A ballast, lamp and fitting can all be put together for about 80 quid if i make the ballast myself. Im just wondering if there is any point, can anyone find me a cheaper ballest, fiting and lamp for a 600w sont. (without shitty reflector)

if its worth it ill put up a DIY step by step thingy :spliff:

had a stoned vision of you cocooned in a cats cradle of wire, attempting to wind your own transformer! :stoned:

If you have the knowledge, and can get the bits cheap, and know enough not to blow yourself up, go for it! :smoke:

:stoned:  :smoke:  :guitar:  :angel

exactly my thot Boojum! Even tho i've had electronics experience and didnt electronics @ college,

i still wouldnt mess about build a ballast its way too dangerous tbh

its not worth the few quid you could save, compared to your life, and maybe the life of

whoever else is in the house if it causes a fire later on in its use.

noooooo PIMP i dont want you to die :smoke: 'keep it safe silly!'

Peace

CSX

EDIT- to make it look neater ^_-

Edited by ChopSueyX

I have to agree with Chopsuey here - Ballasts hold lethal voltages, even when turned off (those capacitors are pretty serious) and if done incorrectly can be a fire hazard as well.

Unless you know exactly what you are doing, then I would buy one instead of attempting DIY

its just 3 components + wires, how hard can it be :wassnnme: you have to be careful choosing the right capicitor but apart freom that..

Edited by []D [] []v[] []D

shouldn't be too hard to put together, now should it? mass produced goods including light fixtures are put together by monkeys working in factories. i know because I have had those jobs..

mains will give you a nasty belt, and can be fatal - the voltages and charges generated in a ballast are several times more dangerous - I'm pretty lackadaisical about things electrical, but would run a mile at the thought of all the work involved, not in building it, but doing so in a way that renders it safe! Recently links were removed to a company doing very cheap lighting rigs - on OTs recommendation it was removed, as even though the ballasts and reflectors were well made, the ballast was not contained in a ventilated steel box as it should have been, and there was inadequate insulation, and cable anchoring. :wassnnme:

well, If i so a step by step guide to what im doing, it will be easy for people to see if im faffing about or not :) will post piccys on next paycheck :wassnnme:

Edited by []D [] []v[] []D

I wish you well - (plonker!) - good tip from my old physics teacher - if you're working with electricity, rubber soled shoes, and keep your left hand in your pocket! (seriously! - that way, the current can't go directly across your heart) :wassnnme:

first tip,make sure the cable from the ballast/choke to the lamp base has an insulation rated for >2.5kv,normal flex is olny rated at 300/500volts

tip 2 make sure the neutral,not the live goes to the outer threaded part of the lamp base and the live to the center contact,do it the other way rund and you risk a nasty/lethal shock

tip 3 double check every thng,have a cuppa then check it again

your going to save so much money buy growing your own you may as well buy one instead of risking it

buy 1 from evergreen http://www.evergreenhydroponics.co.uk/

you can get a 400w for £65 or a 600w for £90

and the light comes with instructions because you wire it yourself so you need to buy 2 lengths of 3 core wire and a plug, i did it with no electrical knowledge what so ever

sorry if this is spamming but im a newbie who was told about these on here and am really happy with the light ( although im awaiting my first harvest )i think there great for the price

is it me or do you pay for the reflector because mine comes with a son t bulb so surely the actual light is no different from a light priced at £130