Coco Scrog

whittley01

hey. firstly im new to scrog but seems like a nice way to maxamise yeild and grow sativas. Ive heard that coco is better than compost for scroggin and to be honest have considerd using coco before. Ive heard with coco you only need use 6.5L pots but ive also heard people say you should use larger (11Lpots) with scrog because of less number of plants. What do other people do? Can anyone talk me though the basics of coco, like what it is and what its all about? Do i need to use some kind of autopot feeders ? i hear you should water from the bottem of the pots? Any advise welcomed ! Thanks alot, JEFF

Hell Mate

Right scrog in COCO

Finish in 11ltr pots, i noticed the difference in yield when I changed to 6.5 11 all the way now

Use Autopots if you are not around to self water daily or every two days.

COCO is bloody easy - pot it up, and water with nutes, must be coco nutes, set your EC set your PH in a the tank you use and water from there - it really is easy - I went for hand watering first, bu tit broke my balls, so I have just bought an Auto pot which I will set up tomorrow.

I went for hand watering first, bu tit broke my balls, so I have just bought an Auto pot which I will set up tomorrow.

Mate, get a Wilma and use it as an expensive collection tray. Saves SO much time...it means you can get in from work, water the plants, and then enjoy the rest of your evening without losing an hour. Then just empty the Wilma once every couple of weeks with a pump. Massive life changer for handwatering coco imo....mix nutes (5 mins), feed plants (5 mins), skin up (1 min) :D

GN

I went for hand watering first, bu tit broke my balls, so I have just bought an Auto pot which I will set up tomorrow.

Mate, get a Wilma and use it as an expensive collection tray. Saves SO much time...it means you can get in from work, water the plants, and then enjoy the rest of your evening without losing an hour. Then just empty the Wilma once every couple of weeks with a pump. Massive life changer for handwatering coco imo....mix nutes (5 mins), feed plants (5 mins), skin up (1 min) :D

GN

Thats an Idea - i have just bought a single site Auto - but I do have about three Wilma trays floating around which i will use for this - Nice one GN

Z

WOW, k i can see ive stepped into this unfamiliar corner of the uk420 forum! Im completly in-experianced with hydroponic systems (ive always jumped that chaptor of the book) So bare that in mind, i just have a few question s . So is coco similar in structure ect to soil/multiperps como ? I understand coco cotains no nutrients and need feeding throught unlike multi-perps? Should i use any 'adatives' in the coco pot, such as plant magic granuals, perlite, dolomite lime etc ??

So in coco i must use some kind of irigation system? like drippers? Ive breify browsed on green at the autopots and the wilma but like i said im never experianced this myself so would be new ground.. Do these systems make much noise and how big are these resevoir things (baring in mind that this would be in a bedroom)

Mate so many questions i dont know were to start! That should do for now, thanks alot if youve read all this. jeff

Hello again.

My view is keep it simple then add stuff later on.

As you say coco is an plain substance made out of coconut husks - basically it has neutral PH and no built in value.

So the best way to view it is something to sit your plants in - you need to sort everything else out.

I suggest, go and buy yourself, some COCO nutes, Grow and Bloom, and a Boost of some kind standard issue is PK13/14. This is the easiest thing to start with - most suppliers of nutes have a COCO variant. i am currently Using Growers Ark - seems fine to me, so will continue to use it.

Secondly - work out your pots and growing space to work with each other. I as said, tried 6.5ltr pots and have noticed a definate decrease in production, as such many people to swear by sticking to smaller pots so fair play - work with the space you have is the best way to look at it - if you follow another person it may not fit your space.

Also, potting up, unlike soil you can pot up earlier and only really have to have a little root build up before potting up to your final pots - this again is personal preference due to my growing style (SCROG) so need it in final pots earlier to start training, if you are growing straight up, you can take your time over potting up.

With regards to Wilma and Autopots - if you need an auto watering system, they both work fine. I used to use Wilma, but I found the pump sound used to piss me off - so went on to hand watering in basic pot set up - this works fine and dandy, but is effort, and for me who works away a lot this became an issue, so have just bought an Auto Pot to test - every green fingers I know who has used them think they rock so lets see. The bonus is, it is auto watering the tank is not huge 47ltrs same as the kitchen bin - with the Wilma if you go for 4/8 or 10 pot system - the reservoir is built in - the tray sits on top of the res so no extra space is taken up - once again horses for courses - use what suits your space and desired set up.

Also have a read of this it covers of COCO and answers a lot of questions, i used it as a guide when moving from recirc hydro to passive hydro

Hope this helps

Z

Edited by zaaboot