Recommended Spyware/adware/anti-virus Software

mickle

Just wondered what the current thinking was on anti virus and stuff..could do with a point in the right direction please.

So I just run a PC and have had Norton for a couple of years, but that expired a month ago so downloaded AVG but just got 30 days and I'ts about to run out..

Don't go anywhere too iffy just want to keep the machine clean...mate said AVAST ?

PS Would prefer if it was free and do I remove all the old stuff ?

Thanks for your time JOM

Guest shitead

I had AVG and caught a virus, well two actually, since then i have been using Avast, no problems at all since.

BTW, Malwarebytes is the best free Virus remover i have used.

Yes remove the old AV and then install new one.

Edited by shitead

Cheers our kid,

So do I get rid of the other stuff and install Avast and then Malwarebytes to clean any crap up..?..I don't seem to have any issuse with the machine..just like to think ahead a bit... Just thought got a crap cleaner that I use once a week..

• Like 1

Guest shitead

Just uninstall your old Anti-virus and install Avast, run a scan and see if it picks anything up, i only use Malwarebytes if i'm sure i have a Virus, but it's a good program to remember about, seem's to get Virus definitions before anybody else does so it's very good, and free.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am baffled, partly because most of this thread flies way over my head.

I have McAfee installed ~ is it any good? Only my laptop seems a bit erratic and I am thinking I may have a virus or something malicious.

Is McAfee any good? Is there anything better out there ~ and I don't need it to be free,, I'm quite prepared to pay for peace of mind. What about Kasperski ~ any good? Better than McAfee?

Answers in simple language, please!! lol Techi dumbo here!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware free or paid very good. free will do the job. + you can get it free for mobile now. :yahoo:

Edited by jok3r

Arnold, I recommend NOD32 Anti Virus. I'm using it for years and never had problems.

You don't need a third party Firewall, the windows firewall is enough.

• 5 months later...

Big Bump!

So, just so I have got this straight ... I can use either McAfee (and pay for it, despite it being not so hot really), OR I could use Malwarebytes which is not only more powerful but also free ~ which is nice. And follow the link Madgiz posted above for "a second opinion"? Is this correct? My McAfee account runs out in two weeks, so I got to decide what I'm doing.

:unsure:

when i had windows i used comodo security suite ,it stops most things ,malwarebytes to get any that slip through ..avast was good though ,avg was ok if you wernt adventurous with your surfing ..norton is spyware crap ,nod 32 is russian spyware that just so happens to be excellent at stopping viruses ..@@super is a greattool for malware and spyware removal ..or you could make life easy and go pinguy linux andnot worry bout any of that stuff.

Guest harold steptoe

@@Arnold Layne get rid of maffe and install malrebytes mcafee is hungry for cpu usage,and malwarebytes you wont know its running until it tells ou to update the virus database which is every 7 days thats all i have on my laptop and its free

@

Thanks Harold, I had decided along those lines, and you have just confirmed that to me. :yes:

• 4 weeks later...

If your running windows you can now download Microsoft security essentials for free and it's top notch as free programmes go :yep: it's used in large corporations on server editions also so it's secure

E2A- it's Windows own anti virus system

Edited by Master Kush

Avast anti virus free edition never had a problem with that one used it for years