Carbon Filter For Less Than £10

smoky_owl

;)

just to :) at the "What you might also be interested in" section

Router

Pink no more nails and a chainsaw! wot kind of situation would u need to combine those four items! :bush:

I don't know about the router and pink grip but I can't imagine a situation where a chainsaw wouldn't be handy.

If it wasn't for my trusty, chain-toothed friend i'd have to start using fiddly little scissors to cut my toe nails again ;):)

Edited by The Dude

Ordered one of the filters and a cheapo inline fan. I'll let everyone know the results when I've got it all set up in a week or so. :headpain:

Smoky Owl :)

been there bought that, changed a month later for something built a bit better ;)

pulls air ok but i started hearing strange noises coming from my growroom when it was running :)

i think pimp uses one tho and its ok......

Recently got all the kit together and I though I'd give you guys a bit of a update on how things are going.

The carbon filter is approx 10" long and opens at both ends with a hole approx 30mm diameter. The outside of the filter is filled with a synthetic material cover with a plastic mesh over that. The actual filter itself is made from what looks like a pourous graphite block (not pellets).

The first thing that needed doing was one of the ends needs capping. I did this by making a small plastic disc (from the top of a margarine tub) approx 35mm in diameter. Then I super-glued the disk over one of the ends and (once dry) put on pleanty of sealant to make sure the end is air tight.

Next I found some pipe with an approxiate diameter or the remaining hole (the middle of some clingfilm I had lying round the kitchen lol). I pushed this in to the hole so that approx 6" were left sticking out and 'glued' the pipe in place again using plenty of sealant.

Check back tomorrow as I fit the filter and fan to my GR and 'hopefully' test it out!

Smoky Owl :smoke:

Here's a few pic's of the filter at the moment. As you can see one end hs been capped and the pipe fitted in place. Once the sealant was dry I gave both ends a coat of black gloss to protect the sealant, seal up any small gaps (the aren't any though ;) ) and make the filter look a bit better :headpain:

Smoky Owl lol

post-102-1078945225.jpg

See attached pic for current plans on how I'm going to 'plumb' the filter in to my growroom.

The picture explains thing far better than I ever could in writing :smug: and is fairly self explanitory.

The only thing that needs pointing out is that the ducting is fitted air-tight to the outside of the GR as follows.

With the fan kit comes a vent to be used outside. Pop out the middle grill and then using sealant fill the groove so that the holes that the grill popped in to are sealed and the whole unit is air-tight. When the sealant is dry screw the vent to the outside of the GR so that the grill side of the vent is facing the wall of your GR. Once the vent is securly screwed in seal all four sides with sealant. When the sealant is dry, fix the plastic ducting to the vent. You now have a air-tight path from your filter to your fan. :soap:

Smoky Owl :(

post-102-1078961428.jpg

• 1 month later...

The results!

We'll as a carbon filter it certanly works :smoke: My growroom is smell free, which is a good thing. However, the extractor fan struggles quite a bit to draw air through the filter but it does draw the air through at a steady rate. As I'm using fluro's cooling (at the moment) is not a problem, but anyone using a sodium lamp would struggle to remove the heat with the crappy fan.

I'd advise anyone growing in a small cupboard where space is at a premium to go for something like this, anyone with a larger setup would proberbly be best to experiment with something a little grander especially in the fan department :wassnnme:

Smokey Owl