Im thinking of making a aircooled hood

Burnah

Hey all. Finally decided on a nice sized wardrobe for my grow, just need to get down to argos and get it tomorrow :oldtoker:.

Anyway, I got a 250w HPS from growell and I want to give the idea of making an aircooled hood for it ago. Ive read lots of posts on it over at OG.

I was thinking of making one kinda like the shape of NGB's, but not quite as high. Any one think theres an easier more effect design?

Well the problem is, Ive searched online for sheet metal and couldnt find none, looked on the B&Q/Homebase sites and couldnt find none, Ill have a look in Wickes when I get the chance. Has any one actually bought some, if so where from? What other materials could I use?

Thanks

Hi Burnah

Are you using the reflector that came with your lamp as a base to build onto or are you building the whole thing from scratch?

I have just finished my own air cooled hood, so i may be able to help. I bought roof flashing from Wickes, about £12 (if you are anywher near coventry you can have some of what i've got left) some nuts and bolts, £1.50, some brackets, £1.50 and 4mm pane glass £3. Pane glass should be alright for your purposes but mine broke due to the temperature from my 600w light.

The flashing is lead so you can cut and shape it quite easily. More details can be found on the thread in Growroom builder - lower temp.

Any queries, drop me a line

Cheers, good luck

Chip :oldtoker:

Thanks for the reply.

So lead is fine to use? Its not dangerous to the plants in no way? Couldnt the heat from the light cause it to bend? Too heavy? I should be able to get some of that easily.

Thanks, Im in London though, Wickes is just 5 mins away.

I was thinking of starting from scratch, when design time comes Ill see whats easiest. Read your post, so you just added to your reflector then? If I can only get lead then I will give that a try for sure.

Hi Burnah

yes i bolted it straight onto the old hood. It isnt too heavy and it hasnt changed shape because of the heat. So with your 250w you shouldnt have any trouble. However, i dont think it would be feasible to build an entire reflector from lead. It needs a good frame otherwise it is too pliable. A note of caution, wash your hands after using it!!!

Peace

Chip :dj:

Cool, well Ill see how it goes, get some drawings done and see if it would be relatively easy to build on my current reflector. Off course  ;).

Thanks