New Coco Grow

Organic Jim

Hello chaps, I'm about to embark on a journey into the world of hydroponics via the medium of coir. Now, I have a few questions which I can't seem to find answers for and wondered if you buffs out there could help me before I part with my hard-earned.

I think I've decided on Vitalink Coir nutrients, So...

Question 1) Do I need the planstart baby food, or should I spend out on root boosters instead? (can 1/4 strength grow nutrient be used instead of planstart)

Question 2) Do I need such things as Plant magic Granules or Trichoderma powder?

Question 3) Is an EC Meter totally necessary or can I manage without one?

I'm sure there will be many more to come, I'll start a diary when my Iced Grapefruit seeds arrive.

Thanks for any and all pointers,

Regards, Jim

Edited by Organic Jim

1. You dont need it mate if you dont want it, up to you

2. Once again not essential

3. IMO the most important tool for hydro but yes you can manage without one

For newcomers to hydro I will always recommend a ph and ec pen

I use mine always

Owd

Thanks Owd, that's good to know, I'll definately need those electronic gizmos. I've opted for no baby food, and I have to wait a while before I start as my seeds are still coming, so I'll take some deciding time on the other potions.

Anyone else have advice on coco essentials for a first timer?

Cheers all, Jim.

Edited by Organic Jim

I'm almost ready to go with my nutrient/electronics order, seeds are here and are calling to me from the fridge.

Next question folks.....

regarding ec/ ph pens..What's calibration fluid and do I have to buy that as well?

edit. I may need pH up/ down as well what do you all think?

Edited by Organic Jim

Guest Poacher

alright Jim :)

calibration fluid for your ec/ph meters is essential to keep them reading accuratly as they can end up under/over reading. I have always calibrated mine once every fortnight if im using them 2-3 times a week, more frequent use needs weekly calibration.

as for ph up/down depending on your ph out the tap and type of nutrients you may need both. One bottle will last YEARS!

alright Jim :ninja:

calibration fluid for your ec/ph meters is essential to keep them reading accuratly as they can end up under/over reading. I have always calibrated mine once every fortnight if im using them 2-3 times a week, more frequent use needs weekly calibration.

as for ph up/down depending on your ph out the tap and type of nutrients you may need both. One bottle will last YEARS!

Righto mate, thanks for your helpful help. Time to finalise that order.

Shit. Looking at the bill now, what started out as a nice £30-£40 coco startup has turned into near enough £100 with ec/ph pens, ph up, ph down, ph calibration in 2 parts and ec calibration in 2 parts. I thought this was supposed to be a simple grow!

Can somebody help with all these potions?! why the 2 seperate calibration fluids? I'm lost and I haven't even started yet :ninja:

hey Jim, you should really only need one calibration fluid for each meter. what brand of ph/ec pens you using?

Hi mate, I'm looking at the fast-tech ones from Greens, I don't have them yet, as I'm still saving me pennies.

You could make do without the calibration fluid and ph up for now, just get some later on. I've never had to use ph up and my ph pens give good reading for quite a long time. ph pen and ec truncheon and ph down would be my main things.

You could make do without the calibration fluid and ph up for now, just get some later on. I've never had to use ph up and my ph pens give good reading for quite a long time. ph pen and ec truncheon and ph down would be my main things.

Hi Ben, thanks for that. Being new to this all advice is welcome, but do I really not need calibration fluid? I'd have thought to get it right that's the one thing I would need. Help mate! Being brand new are the pens good to go?

Cheers, Jim

Hiya Jim

In your position of being new to hydro i would recommend getting things right from the start,its a lot less forgiving growing style than soil.

Check your new pens with the calibration fluid,now you know for sure this part of your grow will be correct and cause you less probs further on.

Take care and do not let all this stuff confuse you

peace

HH

Hiya Jim

In your position of being new to hydro i would recommend getting things right from the start,its a lot less forgiving growing style than soil.

Check your new pens with the calibration fluid,now you know for sure this part of your grow will be correct and cause you less probs further on.

Take care and do not let all this stuff confuse you

peace

HH

Hello Happy Hippy, Thank you very much I'm looking forward to just measuring and pouring rather than guessing all the time! I'm pretty sure I've got my basic Kit together on my shopping list. it goes...

(I've already got 1/2 a sack of Canna Coco)

Vitalink grow 1litre

Fastech ph pen

Fastech ec pen

ph up

ph down

the hunt for information continues as I've got about a week before I can place the order.

So there's ph buffer 4 and ph buffer 7 to calibrate the ph pen, and there's ec 1.43 and ec 2.76 to calibrate the ec pen. Can anyone tell me what this means please??

Maybe I should email Green's but the cynic in me says they'll tell me to buy the lot.

Thanks again kind peoples

Not really Organic anymore Jim

the hunt for information continues as I've got about a week before I can place the order.

So there's ph buffer 4 and ph buffer 7 to calibrate the ph pen, and there's ec 1.43 and ec 2.76 to calibrate the ec pen. Can anyone tell me what this means please??

Maybe I should email Green's but the cynic in me says they'll tell me to buy the lot.

Thanks again kind peoples

Not really Organic anymore Jim

Your ph pen will need calibrating on a regular basis to make sure the pen is reading accurately. The calibration process will be detailed in the instructions but basically when you the pen should read 4 if you put it in buffer 4 solution. If not, the pen is adjusted until it reads 4. You must adjust the pen to the solution. The process is repeated with the buffer 7. You now have a pen that is accurate to two pints and ready to use.

The principle is the same for the ec meter.

I hope I haven't confused you further.

Edited by chrisesq

Your ph pen will need calibrating on a regular basis to make sure the pen is reading accurately. The calibration process will be detailed in the instructions but basically when you the pen should read 4 if you put it in buffer 4 solution. If not, the pen is adjusted until it reads 4. You must adjust the pen to the solution. The process is repeated with the buffer 7. You now have a pen that is accurate to two pints and ready to use.

The principle is the same for the ec meter.

I hope I haven't confused you further.

Cheers chrisesq, that has cleared me up nicely! I know what I need to order now. All of it! >(sound of piggy bank smashing)< Right then...