Prepping Your Patch.....

Bad Penny.

Just a few questions on preparing plots, I've never done it before and have just showed up in May with shovel, compost, protection and plants, dug the hole, planted and then got outa there. But this year I want to prepare it as it sounds like it will add to yield overall if I do.

I'm carrying everything in by hand so can't go down the route of creating a big bed. It'll be more like 6 holes I'll be digging for the 6 plants, I'm going for two different plots with 3 on each to spread the risk of them being found.

Anyway the plan is to dig 6 holes 1.5ft x 1.5ft and then 1.5ft deep. Is this sufficient ? And then I want to add some FBB to John Innes No.2 compost. Wondering can anyone work out how many litres of compost I'd need for one 1.5ft cubed hole ? Also do you mix the FBB up with the compost or do you put a few tablespoons right at the bottom of the hole ? And approx what quantity of FBB should I be using for a 1.5ft cubed hole ?

Finally should I be filling in the holes with the John Innes and FBB now so the compost has some time to 'bed in' to the soil around it ? Or do people just leave the holes empty till they are actually planting out in May ?

Sorry just a bit confused about the timing of when the compost/FFB mix should go into the hole- now or when I'm planting out ?

You are better off giving each plant a 1.5 METER turned area than a hole mate; and IMO 1.5x1.5 ft hole is too small. The depth is ok, but you will want to give more width to increase your yields..

ATB

CC

You are better off giving each plant a 1.5 METER turned area than a hole mate; and IMO 1.5x1.5 ft hole is too small. The depth is ok, but you will want to give more width to increase your yields..

ATB

CC

thanks for the respone. Sorry to be all dumb but when you say turned area what exactly do you mean. Like the area I'll be planting in is just rough grass, some nettles are there too indicating a good soil for weeds like ours. So is what you mean that I need to dig a huge hole of 1.5mt square and about 50-60cm deep ? Or do you just mean to dig the 60cm deep hole and then the rest of the square around it should have sods dug up to the depth of about 1 foot (the depth of the shovel blade) , then the soil hoed and raked and then have compost added to fill them in ? I'm just a bit confused as I thought the roots mainly go downwards more so than side ways so want to understand the purpose of the 1.5m area around the hole.

The other consideration I have here is compost - what sort of quantities would I need for what you're suggessting ? I am just conscious of this as all the compost has to be walked in quite a distance and if I need 30+ litres per plant for 6 plants then I have quite a job on my hands as I can only carry two bags at a time and even that is a struggle but just about do-able.

Sorry for all the questions- I've done three GG's before but each time was just a matter of showing up in May and digging there and then. I only got about 1.5oz per plant from Friesan Dew last year which was a big disappointment (granted it was a woeful summer where I am). But to be honest if I get another yield like that it won't have been worth my while for the efforts and risk involved. So I really want to get this plot preparation down like a pro this year to try and get those yields up.

Thanks for any help

WOW

What a read!

A big thank you to everyone who has added to this threadover the years. It has made my mind up 100% GG all the way this year. After getting ripped last december(burglary) tossers.

I've been looking half assed on google earth and OS maps and actually went out yesterday to look at a few candidates. Now just got to work out where to put my plots.

All The Best

....Drops :yinyang:

• Like 2

Guest Fractalhead25

excellent feel on top of this seasons prep after a busy week.Found 3 wicked new stealthy sites, filled my best one with the most luscious worm filled old poo pile i could fit into a 120lt bergen. :wassnnme: heavy shit :)

:guitar:

thanks for the respone. Sorry to be all dumb but when you say turned area what exactly do you mean. Like the area I'll be planting in is just rough grass, some nettles are there too indicating a good soil for weeds like ours. So is what you mean that I need to dig a huge hole of 1.5mt square and about 50-60cm deep ? Or do you just mean to dig the 60cm deep hole and then the rest of the square around it should have sods dug up to the depth of about 1 foot (the depth of the shovel blade) , then the soil hoed and raked and then have compost added to fill them in ? I'm just a bit confused as I thought the roots mainly go downwards more so than side ways so want to understand the purpose of the 1.5m area around the hole.

The other consideration I have here is compost - what sort of quantities would I need for what you're suggessting ? I am just conscious of this as all the compost has to be walked in quite a distance and if I need 30+ litres per plant for 6 plants then I have quite a job on my hands as I can only carry two bags at a time and even that is a struggle but just about do-able.

Sorry for all the questions- I've done three GG's before but each time was just a matter of showing up in May and digging there and then. I only got about 1.5oz per plant from Friesan Dew last year which was a big disappointment (granted it was a woeful summer where I am). But to be honest if I get another yield like that it won't have been worth my while for the efforts and risk involved. So I really want to get this plot preparation down like a pro this year to try and get those yields up.

Thanks for any help

What you do greatly depends on your soil type but I generally find creating a bed as described by Cheech a good way to go. If you have clay soil this may be the only viable way to go. I have clay and have spent all day today digging, it's tough work.

What you need to do is just dig your spade into the ground as far as it will go, give it a bit of leverage and turn over the soil. Keep doing this over a large area, perhaps 3x4 meters for 6 plants. Once you've done the spade work go over it again with the same method and smash it all up with your fork. Pull out any large weeds and roots as well. Adding extra compost may or may not be necessary, it greatly depends on your soil type.

Also the roots will grow in any direction they can (just not towards light), they don't necessarily have to go down.

I hope that helps a bit.

• Like 1

Thanks, it does help a lot, Also is prepping the soil the correct time to add chicken pellets to the soil or better to do that later in the season ?

sorry if im hijacking but i may have a problem

well iv been out to do more prepping to my patch

apon arivial to my smaller plot (10 plants) from last year all looked good untill i craweld my way into the patch to find that mr fox had pulled a sheep into the center of my plot and ripped it apart left all the wool and bones then fucked off

i always do a few twt laps around the plot scaning for footprints animal tracks anything else than that could be a hinderence from what i can tell this fox must be on the farmers top 5 most wanted list as i have found about 15-20 sheep skeletons withing 100m perimeter of his land but i did have to realy look for them 90% of them was draged into large thorny bushy areas

nedless to say the farmer has now moved the sheep, unless the fox had them all i did find 1 shotgun cartridge on the floor by the fence but no dead fox

1. would you guys use this area still ? its a large area 1-2 acers
  2. my plot with the skeleton in would i be alright using it again and if so what do i do with the skeleton and wool?
  3. should i use the other places the fox has left skeletons most seem to be about 3-4m x 3-4m with little tunnels about 2m long just big enough to crawl through
  4. will i need to treat the ground ?
  5. what can i do to stop the fox dragging another in once i got rid of his old mess?

Fecking hell mate

You sure you aint got a wild black panther near your plot. :D

Edited by Dan1122

Fecking hell mate

You sure you aint got a wild black panther near your plot. :D

hahaha id rather encounter a panther than guerrilla knee

all that rotting felsh would fertilize the ground id think

rusty there aint much if any flesh left

but that was what i thought mayb smash up skleton and turn into ground???

should i remove the wool first can i use the wool for anything? like to use what nature gives me

is there much ghance in it polluting the ground done no how long some of thee have been there

sorry if im hijacking but i may have a problem

well iv been out to do more prepping to my patch

apon arivial to my smaller plot (10 plants) from last year all looked good untill i craweld my way into the patch to find that mr fox had pulled a sheep into the center of my plot and ripped it apart left all the wool and bones then fucked off

i always do a few twt laps around the plot scaning for footprints animal tracks anything else than that could be a hinderence from what i can tell this fox must be on the farmers top 5 most wanted list as i have found about 15-20 sheep skeletons withing 100m perimeter of his land but i did have to realy look for them 90% of them was draged into large thorny bushy areas

nedless to say the farmer has now moved the sheep, unless the fox had them all i did find 1 shotgun cartridge on the floor by the fence but no dead fox

1. would you guys use this area still ? its a large area 1-2 acers
  2. my plot with the skeleton in would i be alright using it again and if so what do i do with the skeleton and wool?
  3. should i use the other places the fox has left skeletons most seem to be about 3-4m x 3-4m with little tunnels about 2m long just big enough to crawl through
  4. will i need to treat the ground ?
  5. what can i do to stop the fox dragging another in once i got rid of his old mess?

A lamb maybe but i can't see a fox killing a fully grown sheep & dragging it that far :unsure:

• Like 2

hahaha id rather encounter a panther than guerrilla knee

Thats it mate i'm sure a panther would avoid humans at all cost, they would run away.

Don't think we would do much running with a case of the dreaded 'Guerillas knee' though.

If the farmer is having problems with his sheep going missing. He might pay a bit more attention to the area.

If you know your plot is supper hidden, don't worry about it mate.

Crack on

should i remove the wool first can i use the wool for anything? like to use what nature gives me

Tape some rip bones and wool together and make some earmuffs :yinyang: