B&q Heater

Guest RAZ

Hi guy's yesterday i went to b&q to get some hooks and chain ,and whilst wandering around i came across this ,would it do to heat a grow room when the lights go out?,it has a thermostat so you can set the temp it kicks in at,and it will also blow out cold air hope so cos i just bought one all for £19-95, not 3 bad if you ask me.....

post-99-1076234544.jpg

Where is your growroom located? Attic? Spare room? I grow in the attic and personaly wouldn`t trust a fan heater. They have an element in them that gets shit hot. Any leaf that gets sucked in is gonna burn nicely. I use an oil filled radiator with a wire mesh guard over it. Much safer.

The attic mate,and as i said it has a cut off point ,so when it reaches a certain temp it turns itself off, same for turning on so i don't think it'll be a problem,as for sucking the plants in ,i do'nt intend on having it close enough .......

Hi Ellzar,

I got meself one of these just before xmas, it bloody burnt my plants a treat, shrivelled up the leaves etc.

So what I done was got a bit of ducting, stuck one end to the heater (gaffer tape is brill int it) and at the other end I stuck a bit of card halve way across, I punched holes in the ducting so that when it comes on it's not as fierce at the end and allows a nice flow of warm air to come outta the holes :unsure: Make sure that you stick the card the same side as the holes in the ducting.

Then I just stuck the end of the ducting in the corner of the room other wise it would have still been a bit hot for me plants ;)

You may find that one of them thermostat timer things will be a good idea then the room can remain at a steady temp (if you do get a thermostat timer then be aware that they are approx 4 degrees out i.e they read 24C when really it's 20C.

Hope this has helped bud :headpain:

ya second that id go for an oil filled rad much better u can control heat easier these electric heaters can heat the room up too quick from cold which aint the greatest thigns for plants who like a steady enviroment also the thermostats suck on em too can never get a happy medium dont even thing the thermostat works on mines now

If anybody's still interested you can get almost exactly the same fan heater from Argos for £13.99 here

also I saw them for around the same price in my local Somerfields. ;)

Got mine from Argos yesterday and on the low (1Kw) setting it's IMO just what you want. ie nice steady stream of hot air, nothing like a hairdryer. Thermo controlled and a fan only setting for the summer! Top stuff.

BTW this is my first post so hi everybody! :bush:

i got the 700w oil filled from bnq, drop a small fan in behind it or sit your circulating fan above it blowing the hot air onto your plants,imo its a much better alternative to the fan heaterz, lower wattage and much safer ;)

Well thanks for making me para MDP!(no punn intended)better safe than sorry eh?Took the leccy heater back and swopped it for the 700watt mini rad,MDP do you use yours on a normal timer or have you used a contactor with it? Anyway thanks guy's ....

Hi Guys,

Is that 700w rad the small silver one? If so I had one and it burnt itself out after a month or so , although I did leave it on for 3 days solid before it went. :unsure:

Bought myself a Dimplex one from B&Q, has 3 setting 600w, 900w and 1500w. cost £35 and is much better quality than the cheaper ones, also noticed the price had been dropped to £26 when I popped in at the weekend.

SB

Elzzar,

Cuz is was fookin cold mate :unsure:, silly me had thrown the box and receipt away to. Didn't have a spare timer at the time so thought it would be ok to leave it on, obviously not tho. Those £35 dimplex are great tho, a lot better quality and 3 power settings.

SB

I bought to 700w rad from bnq and it`s been fine. I have it on 24 hrs at the mo growing in the loft, but have it on very low during lights on. I use exactly the same method as MDP.