Wiggly Dudes!

Budboy

:) Growing in soil and i have noticed small white wormy like things. They r about 6mm long they seem to live on the top part of the soil.I also have noticed some kind of very small black flies approx 2mm in size. Could the worms be the larvae of the flies?????????????????????

Any suggestions?

Identification

Adult fungus gnats are about 1/8 to 1/10 inch (2.5 mm) long, grayish to black, slender, mosquito-like, and delicate with long legs, antennae and one pair of wings. Identification can be made by the vein patterns in the wings. Darkwinged fungus gnat adults have eyes that meet above the base of the antennae. Eggs are hardly visible, oval, smooth, shiny white and semi-transparent. Larvae or maggots are legless, thread-like, white, shiny blackheaded, up to 1/4 inch (5.5 mm) long and transparent so food in the gut can be seen through the body wall. Pupae occur in silk-like cocoons in the soil.

Life Cycle and Habits

Fungus gnats reproduce in moist, shaded areas in decaying organic matter such as leaf litter. The life cycle is about four weeks, with continuous reproduction in homes or greenhouses where warm temperatures are maintained. Broods overlap, with all life stages present during the breeding season. Larvae not only feed on fungi and decaying organic matter, but on living plant tissue, particularly root hairs and small feeder roots. Brown scars may appear on the chewed roots. The underground parts of the stem may be injured and root hairs eaten off. Damage occurs most often in greenhouses or plant beds.

Adults live about 7 to 10 days and deposit eggs on the moist soil surface or in soil cracks. Females lay up to 100 to 300 eggs in batches of 2 to 30 each in decaying organic matter. Eggs hatch in 4 to 6 days; larvae feed for 12 to 14 days. The pupal stage is about 5 to 6 days. There are many overlapping generations throughout the year.

Prevention

Inspect plants carefully before purchase for signs of insect infestation. Always use sterile potting soil to prevent introduction of fungus gnats. Overwatering, water leaks and poor drainage may result in buildup of fungus gnats. Allowing the soil to dry as much as possible, without injury to the plants, is effective in killing many maggots. Houseplants taken outside during warm weather may become infested with insects before being brought back indoors. Inspect plants carefully and discard if heavily infested and unable to save. Remove all old plant material and debris in and around the home. Practice good sanitation. Electrocutor-light fly traps will attract and kill many adults at night.

Monitoring

Use yellow sticky cards (traps) for adult fungus gnat detection. Place traps just above the plants at a frequency of one per 500 to 1,000 square feet. Replace when covered with insects. Check traps 2 to 3 times each week.

REFERENCE

THIS ACCURATE ?

I've still got the little bastards flting around the house from my first grow, they will spread over to your houseplants, and can be really annoying. I was told a layer of sharp sand in your pot stops them. Interested to see if anyone has a genocide tip.

BM

Edit - I tried putting some spiders in to get them, but they weren't that interested.

Edited by Bullockmush

Twice yesterday I wrote something then pasted over the top and posted without realising :woot:

According to the book I linked to, Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis (Bt-i) is what you want, or predatroy soil mites (Hypoaspis (Geolaelaps) miles) and the nematode (Steinernema feltiae)

or apply neem oil / insecticidal soap as a soil drench.

But recommend you get a good book as you will pick up loads of tips.

sundew plants are brilliant for controlling little insects like this , they have leaves like flypaper which the insects stick to and are then consumed , a nice natural solution . :smoke: They are also great if you're plagued by mosquitoes , that's why I originally got my sundews and I swear I haven't been bitten since ( well , while I've been in the house anyway :guitar: ) .

"Sundew plants" that sounds interesting

1st result on Google

Skunk Cabbage, Sundew Plants, and Strangler Figs: And 18 More of the Strangest Plants on Earth

"Skunk cabbage" - the same week that Northern Lights cabbage got on the BBC :spliff:

Do you think they'll fall for it two weeks running? lol