% Weightloss During Drying?

MDP

i just got done trimming up my buddage from my rogue sat, a bit early but it was nice and sticky with a lovely spicy lemon smell ;) dropped the buddage onto the scales and the total weight is 1150gr, just over 40oz i believe ;)

I know most of the weight is water & im curious already as what i`ll be lookin at after a week to 10 days of drying?

any idea`s peeps? all are appreciatted :puke:

don't be surprised if you end up with about a sixth of the wet weight! - so probably about 6-7 ounces at the end of the day. Dry it in an air flow in the dark for at least a week, then bung into glass jars for at least a fortnight - that last coupla weeks is a pain in the arse, but the increase in strength is phenomenal! ;)

I hang for at least 3 weeks, then I cut all the nugs of leaving no sticks and put it into jars I crank the lid for an hour or two every couple of days. Even when it goes into the jar its not totally dry and will loose up a gram on the oz over a month.

That last slow loss in weight is the thc precursors that like hanging onto the O molecules in water, slowly loosing the battle, its loss is called partial decarboxilation, that makes your weed more potent, or what you would call cured.

In traditional hash making areas like Afghanistan they laugh at westerners who buy fresh made hash, they know that after 6 to 9 months of proper storage the taste is better and its much stronger. They don’t know why just from generations of experience.

Anyone who talks about final crop weight in under 6 or 7 weeks from cropping is talking about water, its just an extension of the dealer selling bud a few days after the plants were chopped. Most ounces sold on the street if kept a month or two end up between a third and a half less.

I came across a jar the other day I had put aside from a grow about 3 years back, popped a sun leaf in over night to condition it. Its still pretty dam good, did the job for me anyways, dry weed in a dark cool place with fresh air excluded keeps for a good time in top condition.

I have seen people put large colas into jars after 10 to 14 days hanging and the whole lot go to mould and rot in a couple of days.

• Like 3

MDP, I was wondering too about drying now but yes there is a lot of water there.

I harvested just prior to chrismas in 03 - pulled unknown wet but did some mesures for interest. Agter drying came up with 4 oz +

oldtimer1 comments r worth every character typed.

Cheer's :wassnnme:

:guitar:

I hang for at least 3 weeks, then I cut all the nugs of leaving no sticks and put it into jars I crank the lid for an hour or two every couple of days. Even when it goes into the jar its not totally dry and will loose up a gram on the oz over a month.

OT1,

Do you trim any leaf off your plants before you hang them or do you hang the plants whole?

Fem

I trim the leaves as soon as the plants are cut, I find the old recommendation of doing it once they are dry means the leaves ten to break up and get stuck to the buds. Take a look towards the end of 48 baby cuts.

Another point if buds that are still quite wet at the core are put in a jar. They become soft after a day or two or worse the jar mists up, apart from the risk of fungal infection, sweating buds like this slows curing and also degrades thc. The main enemies of thc are heat, light and oxygen and water.

• 2 months later...

the plant i was asking about (that friggin weird sat)

turned out to be just a tad under 6 oz once dry cured, tho i will point out i didnt do as ot1 does and cut the nugs off the stems, so it would probly of been around 5 oz lol

didnt turn out to bad for a 1st grow, 3 plants(2 of which hermied) = 12oz dry cured :smoke:

edited to add: the sat doesnt smoke that great... a little harsh on the throat tbh

still spins the head tho, so shes getting smoked as my 1st J of the day(after smoking cigs all day she tastes deeeelightful) lol

Edited by MDP

I have had thick dense buds only take about 5 days to become BONE dry in a normal temp, dark environment with lots of fresh air. Then into the jars they went for another week... I understand the benefits of letting them cure for a long time, but as far as hanging them for 14 days, my buds would seriously turn into dust by then :spliff:

don't be surprised if you end up with about a sixth of the wet weight! - so probably about 6-7 ounces at the end of the day. Dry it in an air flow in the dark for at least a week, then bung into glass jars for at least a fortnight - that last coupla weeks is a pain in the arse, but the increase in strength is phenomenal! :(

comeon man, let the mushrooms form!@!!!!!!!!@@#@!!! dont harvest early>?!?!

• 2 weeks later...

ok im friggin confused.......so when i dry my pot i SHOULDNT have a fan blowing the air around in the space im drying? Thats what i picked up from ot1.

he said exclude fresh air......so to me this means dry in a dark, cool, area without a fan.......so many peeps have told me to have a fan blowing the air around......

I dunno :crybaby:

FTM