Green Moss

sfizzy187

Hey guys, how y'all getting on?

Everything seems swiss fine here apart from me ill-treating my plants..

I've dropped them, dropped things on them and theyve toppled and fell however they all including my newlyborns seem to have stayed in there pots... so i stood them back up and watered them...

I last watered them the day before yesterday since i wasnt around yesterday.. upon watering them now the leafs have sprung back up on most of them but i've noticed some green moss building up in only my newlyborns cups.

What does this mean? I initially had some green buildup a week ago and transplanted the true blue to a fresh cup.

Now i've noticed this green on the SIDES of the INSIDE of roughly 3 or 4 of my newlyborns' cups!!

When i last noticed it a week ago in one cup, it was at the top,on the surface of the coco,not on the inner-upper-sides

Since i've already watered them,in there state... im guessing i'm going to have to repot them tomorrow. I would have done so today but ran out of plastic cups!

What caused it? was it the fact that the coco 'shrunk' and i managed to get water collected around the sides?

I dont want this to keep repeating, especially when i end up potting them up...

As for the elder cups, none are showing signs of the buildup, possibly because they are drinking more? Am I over-watering?

Just the thaught of it is becoming a pain and i dont want to start mentally neglecting them :)

Cheers guys!!

Just algae, don't think it's anything to worry about as it needs light to grow and the plants block it out as they grow. start watering every day and the coco wont shrink, makes it hard for algae to get comfy too.

Hey SSC, thanks for the heads up!

Im glad the algae isnt going to affect the plants. I read ever so slightly using the search feature that the algae affects the composition of the water, namely the pH...

Well i havent tested the run-off but they've been watered yesterday with 5.8pH veg @ 700ppm (t).

I came in today and the plants have this 'era' full of life, as opposed to there sobby down hungry looking look from my neglect the day before yesterday...

Also i think what may have contributed to the algae is,my cups are white..:wassnnme:

Today, i watered them however they werent dry as they normally are by the end of the day so just slightly watered around the centre of the stem so it can (if needed) buffer the food already given from yesterday.

Cheers!!

• 3 weeks later...

hey, just wanted to know more about how to prevent it from building up on the top, in quick form. I was thinking of a cover for each pot but ideally are there any other alternatives and can anyone point me in the right direction for a cover?

Cheers!!

hey, just wanted to know more about how to prevent it from building up on the top, in quick form. I was thinking of a cover for each pot but ideally are there any other alternatives and can anyone point me in the right direction for a cover?

Cheers!!

I've read of people using the GH product Mineral Magic by sprinkling it on top of rockwool cubes to stop algae, so it'll prolly do the job for you in coco. BUT - you shouldn't need it imo. What's your humidity in there? I only get algae on the top of coco in my propagator when I've got cuts that take longer to root (2 weeks) and that's because the rH is stupid high (90-100%).

It's late and I've been extracting my ass off (and smoking it now) so forgive me for not reading all your posts...but are you handwatering? If so, just back off the feeding for a day and let the tops dry out...that'll kill the algae and you can carry on.

Alternatively, put a fan down at pot level to keep air moving underneath the canopy. Also a good thing to do anyway (for PM and any other damp nasties) but it should keep the algae off a bit (I don't get algae and I have a fan....your mileage may vary etc...)

GN