New Loft Rafter Room Construction.

GusHansen

Thought I'd share my current construction.

This is the only space I can grow, I want to grow good weed so I need a decent room. I'd don't need to worry about moving etc so I cam create the best design and build spec so my budget.

Budget incl all equipment is about £600 for this first batch of plants.

I spent about £120 today on some nutes, reflective sheeting, duct fixings and wood, I got some stuff already, fans, lights from previous grow.

I will future proof the room with oversize ducting and spare vent holes and various details as you will see.

I want to filter the air entering the room as this will be drawn from a garage space where I do engineering and dusty stuff. Also because I like to smoke dust free weed.

One of the next jobs is to make a filter box that is adjustable to draw air from either the roof space (warmer, drier) or the garage space (cooler, moist) (changes with weather/season obviously).

I will make this detail on both intake and outlet, so as the weather changes I can reverse where the air is coming and being vented to. For heat and humidty/seasonal effects.

I dont want to buy two CF's so the inlet air will be filtered by a washable panel filter from a car, a nice new K&N filter lol This is a flat panel type so can be fitted inside my adjustable box. Details to follow.

Just want lots of options as the roof is not ideal space. I want to design and build in as much flexibility as possible.

Rear basic woodwork nearly done. Using a mix of 45mmx45mm pine and 9mm thick MDF.

8" hole for a vent ducting flanges.

Multiple hooks for the easy light movement forwards and backwards. (will be fitted on CHAIN, I don't like easy-rollers/fires if they fail).

There will be loads of hooks added to the walls for tie-me-downs-ups lines to keep plants under control.

The rear end has a small access hatch so if it gets real crowded I can closely inspect/do work on the plants from the rear also. The open end I have yet to build will have a larger door. I know it will annoy me not being able to access the rear if the room is full. I intend to grow some sativas, long flowering I need full access in the very long flowering etc, saves me breaking my back bending over :D

The room will be BIGGER than it is atm, I have yet to add the rest of the walls it's only the rear half thats complete, I could extend it to be 5metres long in the future. It will be just under 2metres atm.

I will seal the wood with MDF primer and paint it with something white then seal the edges with silicone, keeps it clean and mould free etc, also totally sealed. I will hold some diamond reflective stuff on the main wall sections using large head drawing pins so it's easily removed if needed and a cleandown.

Floor panels. yet to install.

The rear hatch will have draft strips stuck on, the hatch is not hinged it's on studs...You just undo two wingnuts and pop the entire hatch out, this is cause you need to be a midget like to get in that hole :D If the door is hinged it takes up too much room...If has to be removable. Also the fact it's locked down on studs and wingnuts means its dead easy to get a perfect seal with draft strips and the tight fitting strips that slot into the main wall.

That's about it for now lol

Have to wait till Monday for some more MDF. I'll probably work on completing this section over the weekend and getting it painted. Plant needs to go into flower...

Intend to get maybe 9-12 plants in the room on SCROG etc...The height of the room isn't great but thats no issue, I can SOG and use a cooltube etc.

Just want a perfect little space to grow some good "high" strains :D

Will be using 600watt and 8" RUK fan to start using variac. I will add intake fan also once I check whats cooking, won't be overnight perfection.

I added a dedicated fused circuit to the circuit breaker just for the room, so it's all nice and safe.

Enjoy. I'll make my own lamp reflector too, one that fits the V of the roof perfectly and spreads light in a dedicated spread for this room.

Time spent so far, about 6hrs construction on that lot, hardly rushed :)

Must not forget a Wifi Webcam, to keep an eye on things from the house?

Quite like the room, I might move out there and grow plants in the house? lol

Need it done soon, all the critors are entering the roof looking for light and warm place for winter!

Little plant has been working with me.....Best move it to the other end of the roof while I paint etc :) Should be 3 plants but I had some issues with the seedlings...Dunno, I never had any issues before...Maybe bad seeds. Good thing is the plant I have is a GOOD one.

post-48624-1253226773_thumb.jpg

post-48624-1253226780_thumb.jpg

post-48624-1253226796_thumb.jpg

post-48624-1253226807_thumb.jpg

post-48624-1253226815_thumb.jpg

post-48624-1253226830_thumb.jpg

post-48624-1253226836_thumb.jpg

Edited by GusHansen

Bit more done. Got this section done now.

Sealed with some wood primer I found I had, so no need to buy any and topcoated in "one coat" Dulux Satinwood. Did the painting with a very small roller, easy stoned painting :spliff: Very little effort.

Drilled and sorted the duct flanges for fitment tomorrow.

One pick shows the rear entrance, you can see the two studs sticking out, this is what I mentioned and holds the door inplace as this will be a little used entrance. I gave it 2secs of thought found I had some studs and wingnuts so cost was nothing and it firmly holds the panel totally flush with the room.

I can't do the floor yet as I need the other panels inplace. I will board up the holes at the sides then use some floorsecure 3M stuff and screw down something ontop to walk on, the floorsheets just acting as an easily changed flooring seal.

Quite some work actually, I think over a weeks "casual" building by the time I am done.

post-48624-1253312041_thumb.jpg

post-48624-1253312046_thumb.jpg

post-48624-1253312051_thumb.jpg

Must be quite a frequent consideration being as all modern houses have this horrible type of roof?

Thought I'd just document it here as I am well into making good quality engineering and builds of various stuff using "cheap" materials.

The MDF was only £8 a sheet, I used 3 sheets...2440x1220mm x9mm.

Another £18 worth of pine box section.

£20 on paint materials.

£5 on a sealer.

Basically used a jigsaw to cut the wood, a hammer, a screw driver and a drill.

The whole room will cost less than a tent.

Shame I can't use the roof in the house, it's got NO trusses, it's totally open and 15mx15m and it's 3metres tall in the centre.

I got some easygrow mylar diamond pattern reflectivesheeting too today, hate it when this stuff comes folded 3 ways in a box, creased twice, it's a small point but I things just right :spliff: I don't want creases in my materials...I'd have rather they cut it into a size that would fit in the box...I'll leave this stuff and see if I reckon it's better than the white walls? Any opinions? I wanted the walls painted properly so they can be wiped down and disinfected etc.

Edited by GusHansen
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Coming on, got a door and all the panel work on. Primed the new wood, just need my fan to arrive so I can paint the topcoat as it stinks, can use the fan to vent the fumes.

Been a bit busy and it's taken longer than expected.

I'll add some more updates as I go along.

I've been doing other stuff like making a thermostat / variac for the fan.

post-48624-1254074431_thumb.jpg

post-48624-1254074437_thumb.jpg

post-48624-1254074717_thumb.jpg

Edited by GusHansen

That looks the bollox mate.

You thought of putting some insulation over the outside of it, or inside the roof bit???

Burton

E2a.... should of read the above post :rofl:

Edited by Burton Red

It'll be a work in progress, I just want a solid room atm.

I'll be insulating the outside and underneath, there is 3" gap under the room for this.

Incoming air will be a taken from the garage space below initially. Predict if using passive venting the light on temps will be ok in winter but the night temps low, summer I can use a 6" intake fan and blow in air from the cooler garage space . I can if needed circulate the air around the room and garage spaces to mix them etc, or take air from one or other or swap the vent and inlet around as needed.

It'll be tricky to get right, I know :wink: In winter.

I shall fit some tube heaters for the coldest days, have the fan on a relay from the light switching to a variac controlled low setting at lights off, use a couple of fan inside to get the air mixed up well and moving.

I don't fear summer cause the garage is always cool thats simple...Lights on winter is ok.

I was considering tiling the floor/using underflooring heating, thats cheap to setup and I can encase the tubing in a concrete like substance, that will soak up the heat and give it off evenly and slowly...

Ive got some plastic vent grilles that I can add foam to (light and pest filter) they have a pipe flange on the other side, will add 4 vents to the lower walls of the room, this means I can mix and match inlets say taking two from the roof space and two from the garage space or taping over 1 etc ...After a while I should have an easy system to deal with various conditions.

I'll sort it, just after some weed this time, I got plenty of time to perfect the setup. Not ideal in a garage roof.

Helps that its always 5C or more warmer than it is outside during the day, lights will be off in the day, so that will lower the cool issues.

RE: Hot temps. Not too worried, as said the garage space is cool as its shaded, will take air from there in summer, either passive or use a 6" ruck to force air in.

I'll be using a variac controlled high power 8" RUCK for extraction. Might make a 4 stage variac, Thermostat for max power overide, variac's doing lights on hi/lo and lights off speed.

This should manage with the summer temps fine as 8" is pretty big and running slow will be silent at lights off and just do whats needed.

I need a new ballast anyway its shit, I might stick in two 400watt lamps

Thats a 600w atm that'll do fine.

Classy door eh...You can cook up all sorts of fun in da roof!

I was given a cupboard, hopefully the person who donated it never asks what happened to it :v:

Now...This room reminds me of a telepod from "the Fly".

Electrics will be the next job.

Now...Do I smoke the AK48 or more Cheese?!

This Cheese is killer, about as good as it gets. Bit heavy though.

Was looking for a decent yeilding "up" smoke, might have to wang a couple of AK48's on there soon. I like the cheese but the AK48 gives me a more active and happy buzz.

That's 3 himalaya golds in there for a test run. Let them go wild, I will use a screen and maybe switch to hydro when I want to maximise my space get properly organised. Fan of letting things evolve :taz:

Edited by GusHansen

Thanks for the detail, i was thinking along those lines but dont have a cool air source. Running the cycle at night would solve some of the heat issues i suppose