Mini Carbon Filter?

rocky

i was thinkin of getin that td160 fan that farmweb keeps bangin on about. i have limited space but i want to make a CHEAP carbon filter to fit to it if i do get one. does any1 kow how i can make one? the fan is 4" and i want the carbon filter to be the same diameter. i have limited knowledge on the way they work so please give me as much info as possible.

cheers

rocky

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pd666

• Vlad (the impala)

• rocky

• Themadhippy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

im thinking of using a couple of foot of 4" plastic pipe filled with carbon granuals and a couple of bits of cooker extracter filter at either end to keep the granuales in place.

-probably won't work! - you need a large surface area for the filter, that means a largeish flat panel, or a cylinder (effectively a panel filter in a circle!) ;)

you could go down the scrapy and see if they have any old bus or lorry engine filter. They are about the right size and round, just need to replace the foam and add some carbon.

probably something along the lines of the commercial ones - in essence, a perforated pipe of say 4" diameter, inside another perforated pipe- say 6", and about a foot/15" long - join it to the fan with ducting - fill the gap with carbon (in a material "Sock" to hold it in) - block the end of the pipes - filter! - activated carbon available from aquarium centres :stoned:

cheers matey,thinks were working on slightly diffrent ideas,im thinking of an inline unit.but youve given me an idea :headpain: sure ive seen some 6" pipe at work :stoned:

-its going to be a bugger to build an inline one - very difficult to achieve the large surface area (if its too small, even a good fan can't suck through it) :stoned:

Why not stick it after the fan?

You can use something like a small bucket. Pack it with activated charcoal, you can get some stuff pressed into freaky shapes with better surface area if you like but the granulated stuff should be ok. Stick the ducting from the fan right into the bottom of the bucket, this makes the air travel further through the carbon which is beter. Just hold the carbon in with cotton wool or preferably something not quite as thick like the filter wool you can get at acquatic shops.

Voila, a working filter for under a fiver.

post-102-1074367974.gif

-madhippy - that is almost exactly right, but arse about face - you want the fan sucking down the little pipe, and just a blocked end for the other - that way it'll use the whole area, the way you've drawn it, the air will only be going from the end of the little pipe to the fan pipe, avoiding most of the carbon! - the conventional flow is growroom - through carbon filter - then through fan to outside.

get as 4 inch end cap and metaul metal guaze roll cut it to the size u need then make a tube with it place the end cap in tape it around with duct tape put carbon inside wrap loft bating around guaze thin or thick depending on space u have bingo atach to fan and u got a filter to the size u need it

farmweb Posted on Jan 17 2004, 07:15 PM

-probably won't work! - you need a large surface area for the filter, that means a largeish flat panel, or a cylinder (effectively a panel filter in a circle!)

a flat filter would be the best solution i think, because i could put it in the 6" high space under the growbox. do you have any diagrams of a flat carbon filter?

This space is also where i want to fit the fan because there is limited room inside.

cheers for the help

rocky

oh gawd! - if you want to put the fan and filter underneath, you're flying in the face of nature! - you need it to remove heat, and to circulate air - all the hot air rises, and collects naturally at the top - that is where you must extract from, so if you want to put the fan underneath, you'll have to run ducting from the top of the cabinet to the bottom, and have 2 -3" chambers, divided by a panel filter - that would give you a good big surface area. As to design of a panel filter - make a 6 or 7" compartment at the top of the cupboard, separated from the growroom by the filter - bung your fan in the compartment, inlet open, exhaust by ducting to outside - seal compartment as well as you can, then air is sucked through filter - through the fan, and up the duct to outside.

Sorry no plans, but visualise for panel filter - piece of half inch thick wood, right shape to make tight fit - cut four rectangles, equally spaced (each about 5"x10") - right through the wood- you then have something that looks a bit like a window frame with no glass, and thick sides! - now get some of the black cooker hood filter material (Payless or similar), and staple/glue some over the bottom of each rectangle, giving you four big shallow troughs with a filter material base - fill up the rectangles with carbon - then a layer of cooker hood stuff over the top - panel filter! (I found a dab of bathroom sealant on the edges cooker hood stuff and staples an easy way!) :stoned: