Clay Pebbles

Owderb

On 17/03/2011 at 11:28 AM, Road_Runner said:

Guys,

I understand why we should soak them in water at PH 5.5 or whatever but I'd never be able to do that.

If I set my PH to 5.5/5.8 whatever, it rises 0.6-0.8 in 24hrs so wouldn't be soaked in PH 5.5 for more than an hr or two before it rises

How do I get around this, or does the PH staying constant not really matter?

Yes this is what i get even after washing them thoroughly in an inch layer at a time in a builders bucket that i drilled 5mm holes in the bottom, do i just keep ph'ing down until they stabilise at 5.6ph or ...? :wallbash:

• Like 1

For others reference

After thoroughly washing 4 bags of  "Gold Label Hydrocorn" i have filled the bath up, added the pebbles and added 4ml of ph down, i stirred thoroughly and after 30 mins they are now sat at 4.5ph.

I will monitor and record to see if these pebbles raise the ph or not..

On 07/12/2020 at 2:31 PM, photobat said:

For others reference

After thoroughly washing 4 bags of  "Gold Label Hydrocorn" i have filled the bath up, added the pebbles and added 4ml of ph down, i stirred thoroughly and after 30 mins they are now sat at 4.5ph.

I will monitor and record to see if these pebbles raise the ph or not..

So in 7hrs the ph only rose to 4.7, so 1ml of ph down per bag looks like too much :wallbash:

So i have drained the water and refilled and added 1ml of ph down for all 4 bags, was measuring 5.9ph when i left it, went back 8 hour later and its reading 6.4, added 0.5mm pd down and let soak overnight.

Conclusion - with my tap water at 8ph 0.25ml of [h down per bag of washed pebbles got them to 5.6ph and therefore ready to be used !!

• Like 2

leave it at least 24 / 48hrs, and add ph down as required. 7 hours isnt enough time to be honest. if you hasd left it it would probably be nearer what you wanted than if you had changed out the water and started over. #

i phd mine to about 4 and within 24 hrs it was at 5.6, 48 hrs it was at 6.0.

once it stabilises around 5.6/5.8, its good to use

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

leave it at least 24 / 48hrs, and ad ph down as required.

i phd mine to about 4 and within 24 hrs it was at 5.6, 48 hrs it was at 6.0.

once it stabilises around 5.6/5.8, its good to use

Just drained the water but yeah maybe i should give them more time.

Not sure weather to add nutrient as some advise or not, feels like i'm adding salts and things to the pebbles weeks before they will start to get used :headpain:

• Like 2

i dont add any nutrient,

i dont see the point to be honest.

if you are not using them for weeks id check them again before you use them, chances are the ph will be up again.

i always do mine, just before im gonna use them

• Like 2

Just now, badbillybob said:

i dont add any nutrient,

i dont see the point to be honest.

if you are not using them for weeks id check them again before you use them, chances are the ph will be up again.

i always do mine, just before im gonna use them

Thanks BBB, I will leave the nutes for now, i tend to agree !!

I need a few pebbles tomorrow for a couple ghe waterfarm, then i will re-check the ph on the pebbles before dropping them in the iws, don't wanna be constantly fighting fast rising ph values throughout the grow!!

• Like 1