Advice On Short Growing Needed

BBB

Evening all, i have a couple of q's on how to keep em short, i am moving in about a week or so and have been allocated (by the wife!!) a small cupboard upstairs in which to keep my babies, the trouble is its only 4.5 feet high 2ft wide and 3ft deep so i am a bit gutted, for the past 2 years i have had an 8ft tall cupboard which i could grow 3-4 ft plants no probs so i am going to have to completely change my growing style and cut down smoking a bit!! (there goes another pig flying by). First question is how much room is needed between the top of the reflector and the ceiling, my extractor hole will be directly above the reflector?? i have roughly worked out that the plants will have to stop at 2ft using a 400w light so im going to use a halide up untill the second week of flower to try and cut down on the stretch, i was going to use a halide for everything but mine have to be placed a further 6 inches away compared to the sodium. Any advice on short styles of growing appreciated, cheers, BBB

Edit to say: whichever method i choose it will be done organically, well soil in pots with organic nutes anyway.

Edited by BBB

using your existing light, you can easily go sog or scrog with a headroom of 2' - but fer gawd's sake get a socking great fan - big lights in a small cupboard get bloody hot! The other alternative are the dreaded envirolites - in a small space, they'd give you almost all of the headspace - you can let the plants get within an inch or two......if you've got an awkward space that's a lot wider than deep, they also help greatly with light distribution - instead of one 400w, you'd have 3 or 4 enviros, which you can space out over the grow :smoke:

As to keeping 'em small, just flower the cuttings earlier - if you've grown the plant before, you'll know roughly the proportion it stretches -it should be roughly the same - go by height! ;)

Cheers farmweb, i have to choose a new strain to colonise the cupboard so thats the next prob to sort, i do this for medical reaons so i prefer indicas anyway but im going to miss having big sativa doms to smoke in the daytime, as for fans i have the one from my 8ft room to go in there so in theory i should get better results with more airflow as the new cupboard is half the size of the old one, also the ballast box and the fans electrics etc will be outside the cupboard this time so that should save some heat, its killing me i just want to move and get on with it, i havent grown for a couple of months (or about 9 oz :wassnnme: ). i reckon ill end up going for 3 litre 6 inch pots and try and get 4 plants in a sq ft ,about 24 plants in total, might have to look into enviros go to a shop that has them on demo or something, gotta be worth a look, all the best, BBB