lower temp

chip

Hi all

I had the intention of posting a pic of my home made cool shade for my 600w planta but my friend hasnt dropped off his digi cam. Ah well.

I have managed to drop the temperature in my grow room (flowering) by 8 degrees, and heres how i've done it.

I bought some roof flashing from Wickes for about £12, some roofing nuts and nolts £1.29, some little brackets £1.50, and some 4mm pane glass £3.

The roof flshing is lead and it was easily cut and bent into the right shape. I took some measurements, and cut a peice to size before i held it up to the reflector and drew on where i needed to bend and cut it some more. I took it away and cut a 4'' hole into the lead where the hot air will be extraced from. I then drilled three holes into the reflector so that the lead could be mounted on the end away from the bulb. I bolted it on and connected the extractor to it. The extractor fan is about 2 metres away (outside of the growroom)  from the bulb so that the air has time to cool before it reaches the fan. It is a 160m3/hour extractor from growell. I plan to change this for a more powerful fan next month. I will then use this fan to extract for the whole room and the more pwerful fan just to cool the light. I currently have 1 blowing in and the 1 extractor that is taking the air from around the light so there should be a possibility of an even better temperature drop.

Next, I drilled 4 holes in the sides of the reflector to mount the brackets which had to be modified slightly to hold the glass in place. I then easily slid the glass in and watched the temperature drop!!

All was well and good until, about 4 hours later i heard a bang, and went in to find the glass has broken due to the temperature. I have been trying to find somewhere that sells heat resistant glass but i havent had any luck in Coventry. Does anyone know of anywhere that does? If so drop me a line.

The temperature in the room is still lower, abour 4 degrees lower as i've left some of the glass that didnt break in place.

Sorry there's no pics at the moment. I hope to sort that out soon and then you can see how easy this was to do, with my evidently, rather poor craftmanship.

Chip  ;)  :rock: