Omg! I Have Mites!

Spliffty

Well I just had the unpleasant surprise of noticing a damn mite infestation on one of my plants. Ive found live mites and some larve on plants close to this one, but Its short of a full on infestation. Ive dealt with this before and have found the only real way to stop the little f#ckers is to go chemical(systemic) on them. I know that not necesarially since its chemical its systemic but thats what I bought. basically it gets into the plant and wont wash off with watering or rain. Ive tried the soaps before and they dont seem to work for a crap when dealing with mites.

My question is how long will it take for the toxins to work out of my plants?

I have plants of several different stages in my grow room. The one Im most concerned anout is only 2-3weeks from harvest. (it shows no sign of infestation, yet) So do I spray all of them? Only the ones with eggs and live mites on them? Should I harvest this one early so I can spray them all?

The scary thing is that it says directly on the bottle not to use on things your planing to eat. Im not using NEEM oil(the directions on this are similar) I want to use Acephate 8% with Fenbutatin-oxide 0.5% mixed with a bunch on inert ingredience.

PLEASE HELP!!! I need some guidence before I spray these little bastards when the light goes off tonight. I cant wait till tomorrow! Infestation will be much worse!!!!!

-Spliffty :smoke:

Alright screw the crap I bought! I just came from the garden store and Im going right back there and then to the Hydro store for some NEEM oil.

My question still stands about whether to spray them all or harvest the one farthest along or what. Im sure oyu know what I mean.

Thanks!

I definately wouldnt spray the ones that are 2-3 weeks from harvest, you'll end smoking the residue. :smoke:

but you shouldnt really spray anything on buds as there is no chance of it being washed away like it would outdoors.

If you are determined to spray them anyway, I would take the two that are almost done out of you gr, spray the others and then put them back before lights out :unsure:

Peace

Joolz

A new product has hit the market of late, called "Pest-Off". It claims to be safe to use right up to harvest. It acts by clogging the mites' breathing apparatus. I have tried it, and it seems works at about the same level of potency as "Buzz-Off" but without the smell.

I would also recommend tipping a load of Mite Predators into your Vegging room, just in case.

I recently had an infestation, but using Predators, "pest-Off" and "Buzz-Off" have managed to get the buggers dealt with. For the past three weeks the only mites I have seen are well dead.

I agree totaly with Arnie, a combination of buzz off and predators will definately do the trick. The pred`s are not quite as effective in 12/12, but they will still do the trick. I use 500 to 10 plants.

Predators don't work in 12/12. Don't waste your money. The lazy little buggers think its winter and go to sleep. Stick em in your veg room instead, or use Buzz Off

All you can do with the ones in full bud are pick off the webs and have squshing sessions on the leaves. The webs are the biggest problem as they trap moisture which can cause bud rot

Once the crop is down, you are going to need to totally sterilise your grow area to get rid of any eggs (that includes the floor).

Great!

Thanks for all the replies! I seem to have caught the problem in its infancy. There were only noticable signs of infestation on 1 plant. Its seems the mites dont like my plants that are close to harvest. As I only found mites on my plants that were begining to bud or had just gone into flowering. My vegging room is full of cuttings right now. And luckily no sign of mites! I sprayed all my plants minus the ones close to harvest and my cuttings. i also sprayed the floor, the walls, well I got carried away! I hate those little bastards! I ended up buying pure Neem oil. You then mix it with some dish soap and spray heavily. I've dealt with this before and Ive found that every 3-4 monthes they come back! I now the nesting period on the little bastard is around 2-4 weeks. I will be spraying again then whether I see them or not. After last nights spray all I can find are dead mites and lots of eggs! I think it has something to do with all the hiking I do. They end up on your clothes, your hair, and then straight into the garden! They had the pest-off or the buzz-off spray(cant remember which) But these were twice as much as the pure Neem oil. And go figure the one I saw at the hydro store was 70% Neem oil.

What predators should I put in with my cuttings to protect them from future infestation? Do I use Ladybugs?

Thanks! You guys are great! :smoke:

-Spliffty :D

Alright you grow masters,

Thanks for all the advice! Unfortunatly it appears the infestation is spreading. In fact the little fuckers have found their way onto my cuttings that are only 5 days old. I live in the states, so I hope I can find some predators for my cuttings SOON.

My question is in regards to the Neem oil. How much is too much? i went with the directions of 1 tbl. to a gallon of water mixed in with a teaspoon of dish soap. i ask because The mites are still attacking my precious babies! The bottle recommends every 2-4 weeks. I know the oil isnt ment to directly kill the mites, but to prevent them from breeding. So do I need to watch my plants go to shit from the eggs that are present for the next couple of weeks? Or should I just spray agin to be sure? As you can tell this really bothers me. I had these little shits before and they just seemed to get worse before they went away. in fact they never went away. I just choped the whole garden and sprayed everything with bleach. I really dont want to start over again. Its taken my monthes to get a good cycle down where I can chope 1 down every 2 weeks. in fact Ive only cut 2 down so far.

Any advice helps in these troubled times!

-Spliffty

Sorry, no help here....just had a thought though :smoke:

If green light is ok for plants during the dark period.......

Would the spidermite predators go into diapause if you left a green light on for a couple of hours during darkness to take it over the 14+ hour threshold?

Wilbur

I found neem oil a total waste of time.

Get some Pest-Off or Buzz-Off for your flowering room, and throw a load of predators in your vegging area {I presume your clones are in there?}. Spray everything with Buzz- or Pest- Off, and I mean everything. Walls, floors, ceiling, and watch your own hygeine - do you have bud cured with mite eggs on and handle it? If so - Wash your hands before you go in the Grow room! I reckon the only way to beat these buggers is sheer anal obsessive and total warfare......

With Buzz- and Pest- Off the spray rate is once every 5 - 7 days. I prefer once every 5, it breaks the breeding cycle better I believe.

Alright that all sounds good. Now I have early harvested my SSH @ 51 days so there is no safe haven for the bastards. I have a Romulan plant thats 63 days in and needs another week to go. Once I get ride of this I will be able to spray every week. I actually had to get some fungicide for one of plants since it showed signs of leaf spot fugus (rusty spots) This stuff has neem oil in it as well and went ahead and sprayed them all again. Its stinks like shit in here now! that neem oil is potent stuff. It should get ride of the mites entirly if you use it all the time. I like the pure Neem oil because you control the dosage.

So what do they put in the Pest-Off and the Buzz-Off? Im trying to stay 100% Organic and non-toxic. Its also been recommended to me to get an ultrasonic pest controller. Its supposed to keep the mites form coming back. Im reluctant to try this though. It may become attack wave 3 if the neem and predator soldiers fail me. Speaking of which I havent found any locally yet.

now my question is can I spray 7 day old cuttings with the neem oil. they have mites too. Little fucks are everywhere! ITS ALL OUT WAR!!!! :furious:

Thanks guys!

-Spliffty

Gonna take my Astronomy final and smoke a spliff when I get home!

:smoke:

Hello my fellow warriors!

After a quick consultation with the Hydro shop owner, Im much more assured of the neem oil capabilities. He told me its completly safe to spray of fresh cuttings. He just said to wash them off every couple of days and then reapply a day or so after that. The predator mites Are $30 for 500. Much more expensive than the ones Shad recommended to me.

I just wanted to update from my last post in case anyone else has the same problems. Ive heard many others say that the neem oil didnt work for them. But applied correctly its supposed to be extremly effective and in accordinance with my 100% organic requirements.

PS-Id still really like to know whats in the Pest-Off and the Buzz-Off products. i was unable to find any pertinant info on the web. I only found a mention of Pest-Off by a New Zeland Company. PLease excue m :stoned::smoke: y spelling there, i dont fell like looking up the proper spelling right now. As I need to celebrate another succesful college semester with the smoking of my top Romulan Nug! OH sweet Romulan!

have a great weekend everyone!

-Spliffty

:wassnnme:

I tried neem Oil M8, it killed three clones and 4 seedlings, and scorched the entire Veg room in 48 hours flat. Others swear by it though!!??

Pest-Off is Starch based, clogs the mouths and breathers of the little blighters and so kills them.

Buzz-Off smells like it is full of Clove oil!!!! Whatever, it works.

I alternate the two, and use Preds, in order to minimise the risk of any toleration building up.

Edited by Arnold Layne

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update on the mite problem.

After multiple sprays withg neem oil I have brought these little bastards under control!

My spray schedule is as follows: 12-8, 12-11, 12-20 so far with my flowering plants. I plan on spraying every 2-4 weeks as a prevention from now on.

Unrooted cutting were sprayed twice 12-20, 12-25 By today roots are visable on all 6 of my cuttings taken off 3 different strains. 100% success rate w/mites and w/neem oil!!!!!!!! It doesnt get any better than that! Cuttings-Clones w/mites and neem oil.

To all of you out there who dont believe in using a perfectly safe, incredibly effective, Organic pest prevention(NEEM OIL). I must say,

"In your Face!" :spliff:

If you end up with a mite problem early detection is incredibly important in saving your babies. You spray neem oil on the under sides of the leaves and on the tops untill the plants are dripping wet when the mites are most active, in the early moring or in the afternoon. The Neem oil is not intended to kill off the mites with one application like chemical insecticide. Repeat application over at least a month is required to eliminate the enemy. Neem oil is SAFE and NATURAL! It has been used for thousands of years. All you need is the pure oil and dish soap. Products premixing the neem oil are over priced and their base is the same that you would make at home. NeemOil

;)

-Spliffty