Mold Just Before Harvest

NPK

I got in from work this afternoon and went to do my regular check on my plant ( 1 plant filling 1m2 scrog). It was I think about 4-7 days from being what I call ready.

I had a little look for mold at the back, furthest away from the fan, but as usual found nothing. Then while doing some thing else something caught my eye.

:stoned: Mold in a bud in the front corner of the scrog. I chopped the bud out as gently as could out got it out of the room.

On closer inspection the mold had taken hold of the a large part of the innards of the middle (length) of the bud.

I made the decision to chop the entire crop down there and then (yes I did wash my hands first and use a different pair of scissors)

Just finished the job but now I'm tempted to speed dry them with a fan blowing on them 15 minutes on , 15 off.

I have only ever encountered mold while curing before now and am thinking I'd rather have a harsher smoke than a ruined crop.

Thoughts anyone ?

npk

Edited by NPK

I think you probably did the right thing in chopping mate. Never worth risking it with budrot.

Yeah, you can get rot during your drying period, but not once they are dry.

You should have a circulation fan going in the drying area anyway, but adding more might help. Does not matter if you speed dry a bit (as long as you don't microwave it or something daft like that), because you should be able to get rid of the harsh taste during the curing process.

I was worried about my last one, cos of the size of some of the buds, and so used a dehumidifier in the room for the first couple of days, just to give it a helping hand and get rid of the worst of the moisture.

Cheers for the reply omh.

I'm going to take no chances I think and have a fan blowing straight up at them.

The good news though, wet weight 1.9 kilo's not including air (or moldy) bud. :stoned:

It was a beauty an' all. What a way to go. Eaten alive.

what's the best way to rid the room of spores before the next grow ?

npk

I reckon certain vars are more susceptable mate - the fatter the dick, the more chance of gettin' the clap :yep:

If i was evr to grow out the Bubblegum again, i'd have more than one ossy fan it with 'em! :smoke:

• Like 1

what's the best way to rid the room of spores before the next grow ?

You can't. Spores are there all the time in every grow room.

But don’t worry, because it is not the presence of spores that causes mould. It’s caused by the right conditions for the mould to form.

What kind of humidity or environment causes bud rot then?

My plants are still little 'uns at the moment and im getting between 36% and 42% humidity.

I've read that 50 % humidity and below is fine for all strains. After relative humindity is taken care of the next important thing is air circulation.

Depending on your setup and temperatures; 1 exhaust fan and 2 circulating fans (one above the buds and one below) should do it. This does not include any intake fans or lamp/air cooling. Its not a bad idea to include one for each of these purposes but may not be necessary depending on yuor setup and temperatures.

so that make 5 fans for a one light system

Yeah I think I need to invest in a wall mounted fan blowing down at the buds.

The bud that got it is in a corner and kept out of the airsteam of the fan by a unit thats mounted on the wall. So its been sat in a pocket of old air I guess.

I've never had a problem in the same space before but I am a lazy git and I think the general untidy state of the space hasn't helped.

npk

I reckon certain vars are more susceptable mate - the fatter the dick, the more chance of gettin' the clap

That one way of putting it Bish :blub:

The style of grow also has a baring. SOG grows with so many buds all paked in close together is great for yield :headpain: but will also increase the risk of bud rot.

I have had the prob a couple of times during curing :(

Gonna make a prediction now and place money on me getting rot with this grow.

Cant keep the humidity down and they're packed in tighter than a nun's chuff.

What is the earliest into flowering anyone has heard of budrot starting?

I may add some silicon and get the ozone on yet. :headpain:

Wilbur

The good news though, wet weight 1.9 kilo's not including air (or moldy) bud. ;)

Oh man, you got 1.9kilos from ONE plant?

Forgive me for sounding like such a newbie, but doesn't that kind of make a mockery of the 'yield' ratings from the seed suppliers who normally quote something like 100-150 gram of bud yield per seed?

Oh man, now I'm all confused again about how many plants I should attempt to grow in my first growroom (which I'm saving hard for right now).

Am I missing something here?

Any help in making up my mind gratefully appreciated people, thx :(

-CK

Am I missing something here?

Hi ck

In case you missed it, it was wet weight I was talking about. Dry weight turned in at 470g . But I did dry it more than I would normally because of my mold scare.

This is quite easily achievable growing scrog (like I do) or sog (so I hear, I've never tried myself).

I wouldn't take to much notice of any of the bumf the seed sellers go on about.

Ask the folk on here about most strains and someone should have some experiance to share.

1g per watt of light is a good figure to aim for once you get your setup right.

Some people do better than that though. I'm a lazy grower but what I get does me and the missus fine ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide to grow

npk

ya i average to get 2 ounce per plant in soil if i get that im happy 8 plants gives me enought to supply myself untilll next grow is ready

i dont grow really big yielding strains more indicas short bushy is the way i like em ;)

b&q have clip on fans which work ok i have a couple clipped in ma growroom blowing air onto the tops of buds im also worried about budrot as the coals are thicker on these bb/afghani/nl than the last lot of b52

so aslong as i have decent fans and exstraction and perfect temps ill be cool

Hang on hang on hang on. 470g from one plant? thats over 16oz. or about £2500 if sold in eighths. are you including stalks and leaves as well? or am i being dense? either way, im gonna grow your way. scrog is where you bend the plant over under a net when its flowering isnt it?

oli