COCO or Cubes sat in water

zaaboot

Hello all - I am looking seriously in to using Coco at some point. To date, I have used NFT so just cubes - I have run with pots and drips so just clay pebbles and root riots, and have run with Flood and drain using the pebbles.

I would like to know from people who have used COCO and other hydro styles - what are the Pro's and Cons of COCO?

Areas I would really like to understand are:-

Ease of use

Maintenance

Speed (if different to normal)

Taste of final product

Does it make a mess?

I have read plenty of stuff on COCO and it sounds rosy – as does everything until you try it – so I would really like to understand the benefits above and beyond a standard recirculating system

Thanks in advance!

Z

Edited by zaaboot

ive never used hydro myself but i grow in coco and it is so simple, i've sat all my pots in a large driptray and use a pump with a hose tied to a stick to water them i have 12 plants and usually have to water 3 of them at a time every 2 days . then i just pump out the run-off and chuck it on my lawn. it beats having to worry if your pumps and timers are all working correctly ive heard some nightmare stories.

i used to water by hand , lifting the pots into a bucket to catch the run-off but this way you save alot of snapped branches and four letter words.

i will say one thing . don't use canna coco nutes

ive never used hydro myself but i grow in coco and it is so simple, i've sat all my pots in a large driptray and use a pump with a hose tied to a stick to water them i have 12 plants and usually have to water 3 of them at a time every 2 days . then i just pump out the run-off and chuck it on my lawn. it beats having to worry if your pumps and timers are all working correctly ive heard some nightmare stories.

i used to water by hand , lifting the pots into a bucket to catch the run-off but this way you save alot of snapped branches and four letter words.

i will say one thing . don't use canna coco nutes

Nice one - what nutes do you rec for COCO?

Z

Not sure if its any help but I've used DWC before, and used both cubes and clay pebbles in this set up.

As the cubes and pebbles are out of the water, they are just used for support I cant really say what advantages/disadvantages they would provide :blub:

The clay pebbles do drain water through them very quickly so are probably good for dripper systems

Im growing in coco 1st time & its great . Seen mates grow in soil before but never seen such healthy roots as I have in coco. Its neutral so you know exactly what your babies are getting too. Im hand watering in coco as an intro to hydro & i like the ph'ing & ec'ing & watering daily it makes me get to know the plants better. I spend like a couple of hours to make up a 10l mix and spend time pruning etc , its really helped me get REALLY into this growing lark . Next up a bubbler & SCROG for me ( I love 420 ) . As for mess theres none it rubs off your hands & ive trod into carpet many times & it hoovers straight off. All in all , Im not gonna use anything else personally , the plants love it , I love it , its a win win situation :doh:

Edited by Poppa_Smurf

Nice one - what nutes do you rec for COCO?

Z

i've just switched to hesi coco and they are doing very well. as P_S says the root growth is phenomenal

• 4 weeks later...

nice one everyone - I think i shall be using COCO sometime soon. Got a few gallons of nutes to get through first - once thats gone i will set up for COCO

Z