Insects In My Water Tank

grredo

Hi all, noticed somthing odd when I was checking on my nutrient solution today, there are small white jittery insectty looking things swimming about in it. They are about 1mm long, dart a short distance in one direction, then pause and go off in another. I'm afraid I dont have a microscope to get a closer look or a digi cam since mine got stolen :furious: . I haven't heard of this in my tiny growing experience and was wondering if anyone has any ideas?

I'm growing in an nft 205 with a nutrient heater and an airstone in the solution. This is currently the fourth week of flowering and I used superbud for the first 2 weeks. I change the solution in the tank every other week except when I was superbudding when I did it every week. Oh and I have a 250w sodium light and an rvk jobbie extracting from the room. If anyone has any ideas what these are and what this means to my grow I would be grateful.

The only time I had something similar was several years ago, when I moved into a flat, where the former tenants had a lot of cats.

I had my motherplants in a cupboard in the spare bedroom, and after a couple of weeks, the bedroom was absolutely crawling with fleas (to the point where there seemed to be a heat haze above the carpet). It seemed that the little basts were breeding in the formulex solution I was giving the mother plants. Don't ask me how - thats just what it seemed like (maybe they were drowning in it, but it really did look like they were living off the stuff).

It did'nt do the actual plants any harm, I just ended up getting bitten to hell when I went in to water them. A couple of bug bombs set off in the room, and about 5 cans of flea spray seemed to do the trick :smoke:

This is not to say that you have the same type of critter in your water supply. Water is full of small insects and other life, so I doubt very much if they will be a problem. If you are worried, flush your system out, wash the inside of the tank, and refill, and that should get rid of them (don't use h2o2 if you are using superbud - it specifically says not to use it in the instructions)

I'm due for a nute change etc in a few days so I'll see if that gets rid of them. I thought the little blighters might be chowing down on my roots (loads dangle into the solution), just needed my mind set at eas, cheers dude.

I don't use h2o2, I use an airstone instead. The superbud period was over a week and a haf ago, got me some nice looking buds allready :smoke: In theory I should be smoking cured mango bud for christmas :band: