a helping hand

surealsmokaz

Right, first off; im not growing just yet, so no one needs to rush to my aid, but in the next couple of months i am very likely to start.

I have finely convinced the missus that it is the only way forward, so i am starting to get together ideas for it,

So basicly, when i start growing, i would like it a lot if there could be an expert grower on this website that could guide me through it.

i saw some nice cheap lights on this website: gro-lite

but if anyone knows anywhere better then i would cetainly like to know, price IS an issue, between £100/£150 tops, preferably cheaper

i am most likely to grow skunk#1, so preferably someone who has experience of this strain

thanks for any help on the subject

joe

Hi Sureal m8

Im new to this game too, but lovin every minute :D

if your budget is about £150 Growell have a couple of compleate beginners systems that you might be interested in

1, Hydro-pot

2, NFT

I bought then Hydropot system last month and it was a doddle to setup (if not a little rushed :mad: )

anyway thats my pennies worth, hope it helped

:peace: JJ

Hello SS,

My thoughts:the gro-lite site seems bright and cheery but cheap it is not, I can go to a (very) local grow shop that is cheaper than that and I don't shop there (except for neem oil).

JJ's suggestion of growell is a reasonable one, they are a respected grow site.  If you want the cheapest bang for your buck, go to fastlight.co.uk, if you are handy with electronics you can remove the ballast from one of their 400w HPS, and make your own refelector, that would cost less than £60.  Seems you need to think what space you have available and the reason you are growing.  I only use a 250w hps for flowering and am very happy with my results, but the more the merrier:)

JJ seems to be pushing you down the hydro route already, and there will always be different opinions, I always recommend new indoor growers to start in soil, in the KISS tradition, soil is initially more forgiving IMO.

Also, although the light will be the single most expensive item, it doesn't end there, so start scrounging for anything that will be useful to you.  Amazing what you can pick up/reuse, baby bottle warmers are great germing pads, old computers fans are invaluble,  large pots, gardening thermometers, flat white paint,is almost as good as mylar and much easier to clean etc.

Promise I will stop soon, am turbo posting in one post, been to wales for a while etc

Skunk no1 is an excellent choice, a manageable 75% sativa with high calyx/leaf ratio, though, if it is your choice I would make good ventilation and odour control a priority, ain't called skunk for nowt.  If your partner is nervous about your hobby then sk1 in the last few weeks of flowering is going to scare the pants off her.  Haven't grown Skunk no1, other than for boys, as I don't like the taste but have grown green spirit relatively recently (big bud x sk1) and that was a nice uncomplicated, BIG grow, tasted bland though.  Taste is important too, IMO:)

Enough, enjoy your growing, :D

U

hi dude ,

i would have to agree with the others

growell.co.uk is your ideal website for starter kits etc and they are good prices too.

happy growing

start scrounging for anything that will be useful to you.  Amazing what you can pick up/reuse, baby bottle warmers are great germing pads, old computers fans are invaluble,  large pots, gardening thermometers, flat white paint,is almost as good as mylar and much easier to clean etc.

well my mum is quite a keen gardener, and i visit her at least once a month, so i could get compost/pots/nutes etc, no prob, she knows what i get up to at the weekends, and wont mind me nabbing a couple of litres of compost every now and then, dunno about the baby bottle warmer though, how much are they?(about). Dont worry about a fan, we've already got an everyday office fan that should do fine

i was planning to soil grow(forgot to say all of that) and as i am only growing for personal use i was thinking about 2 going at a time

if skunk#1 is very strong smelling, is there another you could recomend that is as easy to grow? if not it'll probably have to do though

on fastlight.co.uk, which would anyone say is the best buy? i want one as cheap as possible that is reasonable quality for growing.

thanks for the help guys, its all well appreciated

:thumbs: Hi SS i am a first time grower and i have just bought a 250w hps light from fastlight for £65 including delivery :P you can get more powerful ones but i should be fine with that anyway, heres the link for light i got fastlight hope this helps

take care mate

:thumbs:

You'll still need either computer, or bathroom fans, depending on the size of your grow space. Office fans are good for moving the air around in the grow room, stops it 'stratifying'. That’s where the hot air sits up at the ceiling, and the cold air stays on the floor, you can get alarming temperature differences between the two, not natural, not good for the plants.

you will need the other fan(s) to either suck air out of the space, or possibly both suck in and blow out, again, depends on the size of the space. If you are planning on using a cabinet or small cupboard, computer fans will do, if your using a large space, bathroom fans, the type that sit in the window, are ideal, pay about 15 to 20 quid from Wickes or B&Q. You need to replace all of the

the air in the space roughly every five minutes. Most fans come with a 'cfm' rating, stands for cubic feet per minute. A fan marked 93 cfm for instance, will remove the air in a 93 cubic feet space once a minute. To work out how much fan you require, work out the volume of your space, length x width x height. So a 4 x 4 x 8 room would have a volume of 128cfm. divide that by five to get the figure required to replace the air every five minutes, in this case 25.6 cfm. so a fan with a rating of 25.6 or above would suit that size of room.

Why do you need to replace the air at all? Plants use CO² to make flower material, and they can use the normal concentrations of CO² found in the air very quickly, so you need to constantly bring fresh air, with fresh CO², to keep them making flowers.

Hope this makes sense, apologies to all if the numbers are a bit off, I'm tired, I'll check back tomorrow and make any corrections if no one else beats me to it :D

The best buy from fastlight is the Lowbay IP20, there is an article on overgrow about splitting out the ballast, see my reply to hemlok's "window sill" thread on this forum.  I've not seen cheaper lights than this up to 400W.  They are doing a growers kit with 2 x MH 2 x HPS bulbs + switchable ballast for £150 but I reckon the old IP20s are still the way to go.

NL is supposed to be quite low odour and most of the sativas are less stinky than the indicas.

ip 20 is just a industry standard container

the ip 65 is the waterproof version

ip numbers describe the standard of container not the light

the light is a son-t low bay gear tray

peace

the d.o.c

does that mean the ip20 is ok, or not ok?

+ i'm not much of a tech wiz so is splitting the ballast going to be easy or hard?

+ i'm not much of a tech wiz so is splitting the ballast going to be easy or hard?

I've done two, the hardest part I found was hacksawing the case into two parts. I am to DIY what Hannibal Lecter is to cookery, so if I can do it anyone can. I must confess, I was extremely nervous about doing it, but when I finally bit the bullet, it was okay. All you are really doing is replacing some wires, I didn't bother replacing the internal wiring, just the wires to the bulb holder, and adding the mains lead is easier than wiring a plug.

Just dug out the thread on overgrow: http://www.overgrow.com/edge....ballast

Hope that helps.

I have quite a few skunk #1 in the ground and can confirm that they smell quite a bit - old boy...

Northern Lights are the least smelling strain I think - doesn't need much covering - also - I was shopping for equipment recently and came across a smell covering system that's reasonably cheap - these replaceable inserts cover the smell well in small grows (i.e not ozone or carbon scrubbers) at esoteric hydro (www.blunt.co.uk) - probably worth inspecting their goods too as they have a good range of interesting mods...

I think the rest has been covered.

Just bought a cF truncheon and elctronic pH kit - £115 - pricey - but nicey!

:devil: