new grow setup advice please

rustyspatula

:)

Hello everyone. I am seriously considering starting my own grow. I am new to this and any help would be appreciated.

I have a built in wardrobe   2ft wide

2ft 4 deep

5ft 5 high

Im not a heavy user and was thinking of just growing 1 or 2 plants. By the way the top of the cupboard leads directly into the loft space. As i said any help would be appreciated

take care :peace:  :peace:

hi rusty,

sounds like you've got a nice little space there.

The main things to think about to get started are lighting and ventilation.

As the cupboard has direct access to the loft space above ventilation shouldn't be a problem (check out mono's space in the photo section).

As for lighting there are loads of posts about detailing where to get cheap(ish) lights......have a good look round and then let us know if there's is anything in particular we can help you with.

later,

MrBenn

:)

cheers mr benn, i wasnt expecting a reply so soon..

yeah im thinking of growing northern lights as ive heard its a stable one to start with. im a little concerned about the smell. do you think i would need an exhaust system for a two plant grow. would a 150 hps lamp do the job

havnt smoked any decent weed for a loong while. sick and tired of the cheap shit hash thats around, just roots me to the spot with no real high !

im looking for the easiest route. in your experience what are the advantages of hydro over soil

sorry if this has all been asked before !

cheers  :satisfied:

Personally I'm a soil man. There is always debate on the hydro vs soil front. Soil tends to be more forgiving of mistakes we can make (esp. as a first time grower), also setup tends to be cheaper and less complicated. I'm sure someone else will jump in in support of hydro, but as an overview the main benefits seem to be faster growing time and possibly higher yeilds.

As you're just growing small scale and presumably not after massive yeilds I'd go with soil.

For 4 square feet the 150 hps gives you (fingers and toes time) 37.5 watts per square foot which I reckon'll do ya. 250 watt would be nicer tho' giving faster more vigorous growth. The ventilation issue is primarily to do with heat build up in an enclosed space like yours. You will need some sort of air intake/ outlet system. The advantage of using extraction is that it sucks air in from any gaps that aren't airtight.

Northern lights has a rep. of being low odour. How the smell will affect you depends on your situation,there are ways of reducing it (filtering the extracted air, ionisers) but you'll never get rid of it completely.

And summer's coming up - so you can leave the windows open - the smell is more of a problem in the winter when the air gets trapped inside...

It won't be that bad from a couple of plants mind - the quality will be better than anything you buy - and call me cheeky - but it's usually better than the bulk stuff produced for coffeeshops - so it's likely you can produce weed - better than any you've ever seen, let alone smoked.

It's got to be worth it for that.

Thanks you two, ive been surching the links and can only find 400 lamps, any ideas on where i can get a 250 one.

oh and how long have you been growing and do you know anyone that was busted, and under what circumstances ?

all the best :peace:

Guest THE PUFFER

;) Wassson rusty

Here is a link to a good lighting firm called Growell...they will have your 250W lamp and everything else you need to get started.

I think we all know someone who has been busted for either growing or smoking MJ. The only fact you need to know is that the police will prosecute you if they find you growing...the rest is down to the judge.

Anyway, heres your link...

Growell

PEACE :)

yeah cheers puffa, checked out the link and will probably go for the 120 squid organic start up kit.

do you reckon a bathroom extractor fan will do the job of getting rid of the smell ?

i cant see how i will be detected and am only growing two plants. im sure the cps have better things to worry about especially since declasification is on the horizon, lets hope so anyway

anyway thanks to you all for your help

now doubt we will speak again soon :peace:

Guest THE PUFFER

am only growing two plants. im sure the cps have better things to worry about especially since declasification is on the horizon, lets hope so anyway

I think you are probably right there bud ;)

The bathroom extractor may be a little niosy ?

I was in Sainsburys Homebase the other night buying some stuff for my new veg chamber.

They seem to have a good range of fans - they were in the 'Cannabis Growing Accessories' row. I wish!!! But they do have a good selection. I need to buy one soon so if you find a good one let me know.

Steve The Weed

:mad:

Just thought I would add my two penneth experience from trying a similar setup. I had a cupboard with exactly the same dimensions open to the attic as well. I have a 400w mh/hps switchable lamp and it was way, way too hot for the cupboard. Even with forced venting out top and with the whole back off and doors open couldn`t get it down below 90. I would go with a 150 or 250 watt max for that space.

P.s I got my lighting form www.ukhydroponics.net.

They have a 250 watt system for 110 notes. Mh and hps lamps, reflector and auto switching ballast. I got the 400w for an extra 10 quid

;) Hi rusty, hope your little darlings are healthy and well, if you are still looking for a light and dont mind having to tinker  with a bit you can get a great deal on 250w hps from fastlight i only paid £65 inc delivery ;) hope this helps

take care mate :thumbs: