Convection Currents

bro-d

This is quite a straight forward problem really just want somones opinion...

Right got a TD-160 and carbon filter connected so the fan pulls air through the filter and blows it out th other end.

I was initially more worried about the smell from growing rather than temps but as I became more knowledgable I realised they are both equally important.

I got a 250w HPS.

Without the fan and filter on temps are about 85-95...so a little hot.

With the fan and filter on its about 100.

My question is regarding smell does it matter whether the air is blown through the filter or sucked through it.

I was going to reverse the fan and move it to top of the grow cuboard so that it sucks air from the top of the lamp and blows it through the filter.

At the moment it is at the bottom of the grow cuboard sucking cold air in and blowing it upwards. This causes the once cool air to hit the lamp and come back down due to convection currents- actually heating the grow room up!?!

I know that this sounds dumb its more of a growroom teething problem I have over looked until now cos I was unsure how this would affect the filtration.

Cheers for any help. Peace :stoned:

omigawd! - talk about ass about face! The fan is designed to suck air through the filter, removing smells and excess heat - as heat rises to the top of the cupboard, you ain't sucking heat out but coldth with it at the bottom - so put the fan and the filter at the top of the cupboard, with an exit point out of the cupboard, then you've got to let cool air in at the base of the cupboard to replace what's been blown out! - you've then got nice cool air coming in over the plants, it gets heated and rises, taking with it the niffs which are then filtered out :bush:

It just won't work as a closed system,you've got to have airflow or you won't get enough co2 for the plants, and it'll overheat - as you're finding!

:D Ha ha!

Had a feeling that was the case...

Any way I've now got it situated on top of the grow cuboard sucking air of the top and blowing it through the filter..if you follow...as opposed to sucking air through the filter and blowing it out the top...

Still not sure if it was designed to do it that way..having air sucked through the filter first wasnt creating enough of a vacum?!?

Anyway even though it may seem a bit backward the vacum it created doing it the way I mentioned above caused a 15 degree drop in temp!!!! :):ninja:

I'm extatic!!!! this means the temp has stabilised at 85- the optimum aparently.

Also means that when I've got buds the THC shouldnt turn to CBN :smug:

Cheers man for the info...

Peace dude :stoned:

erm....still not sure if you are doing that the right way mate.

Are you actually extracting the air out of your room?

You should have the carbon filter suspended at the top of your room, with a length of ducting attached to it. This ducting should then go out of your growroom, to the fan which is sucking the air THROUGH the carbon filter, and blowing it out of another section of ducting to wherever.

I have attached a REALLY crude drawing to show what I mean.

The idea is, to extract the hot air from the room, and vent it somewhere else - fresh air is then sucked into the room due to the vacuum that you created.

What you were doing it sounded like, was running your fan as a dump fan, where you were sucking the cold air from the bottom of the room, and venting it to the top - if you are doing that, then you are better off not using a carbon filter at all, because it reduces efficiency, and is used to filter the smells of what you are venting outside the growroom.

Use desk fans for your air circulation - much cheaper than using an Lti for that

post-21-1065097254_thumb.jpg

Right I got you.. I had it set up kind of like that before...

I wish my scanner was working (bloody thing is so old they dont make drivers for win2k) anyway....

I have a grow box in a cuboard.. the fan is on top of the grow box sucking air from the top of the lamp through holes I drilled and blowing it through the filter without any ducting- although I have got a couple of sound proofed meters...

- which I know is wrong..

However the extractor is not only sucking hot air off the lamp but the vacum is also pulling cold air in through more holes I drilled at the bottom.. with the cuboard door slightly open there is a draft at the bottom and a breeze at the top..the drop in temp proves its working

So just to clear this up cold air is being pulled in through holes at the bottom and being sucked out at the top and then blown through a filter..so although its not technically really leaving the cuboard it is circulating the air in th grow box..

Ps. I know this sounds really sad and pathetic but my dad wouldnt allow me to drill holes in my cuboard...so venting it out directly as you showed isnt an option.

Really appreciate that info tho...Cheers! :ninja:

Peace :stoned: