build a thermostat controlled fan speed unit

Detritus

Cheers Ugly, thats cool - it's exactly what I need for my next project - I'm planning to make a grow-management system that will enable you to monitor and control your grow from anywhere using your mobile phone! You'll need a java enabled phone that you can add appications to and a pc with permanent connection (ISDN, ADSL, broadband etc.) and a server that can run J2EE web apps. I'll write an install program that will set everything up nice and easy so there's no need for any programming knowledge. You'll be able to monitor the temperature, humidity, what fans are running at and what speed (it'll be connected to this climate control module). I'm also going to add a nice little feature for those of us who are paranoid - a sensor that tells you if the door on your growbox/growroom has been opened since you last reset it! A way of monitoring the nutrient level in the tank would be good - anyone got any ideas?? I wondered if we could adapt the sensor out a car's petrol tank??

Sorry there's been no update on the climate control module. I came off my meds so I've been in a world of shit and not up to doing anything. Feeling better now (despite the shrink telling me I'd just keep getting worse) and eager to get on with it. I'll let you know as soon as I've tested the module and get working on that tutorial on how to build it.

In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas for the grow management software then let me know. The two main things I need to find are a humidity sensor that will give a digital output and a way of detecting the fluid level in the tank. Apart from that it's really just getting around to writing the software which wont't take too long.

Anyway, cheers for the link ugly, that'll come in very handy indeed!

Det

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Detritus

• oldtimer1

• Themadhippy

• Thriver

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

try these people out

http://www.sensirion.com/en/sensors/humidi...sensorSHT71.htm

really cool but fuck what a price (farnell have them £13+)

I too am designing a controller for a grow room

Uses rs-232 interface for set-up & monitoring ,but runs by itself 24/7

Using a PIC micro and designing my own interface circuitry for:

Lights

Intake Vent Fan

Extraction Vent Fan

Rotating Room Fan(s)

Room Heater

NFT pump(s)

cool as, the more people we can get developing kit the better! Let us know how you get on, sounds like you're pretty far down the road on yours - I've still got to finish the climate control module before I get on with mine!

good luck and keep us posted,

Det

• 1 month later...

well, finally (I know guys, sorry about the repeated delays!) tested our creation today and IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfectly, no buggering about required or anything (although I must admit I turned it on from about 10 feet away with a broomhandle!) I set the high alarm to 26 and the low to 20 (for easy testing) and altered the temp by putting the sensor tip in a glass of water to get a low alarm and just held it between my fingers for a high alarm.

Unfortunately the instrumentation box I bought to put it in is too small to fit all the wiring, circuit board and connector blocks in which is a bit of a bummer as I would have loved to get it all packaged up and looking cool. I'll order a bigger one asap.

I'll see if I can borrow my brother digital camera so I can finally take some pictures to show you all (although not too sure I want anyone else to see the abismal state of my soldering!) and start to put together the step by step guide on building it. Time to repay you guys for your time and much needed advice.

Det

exallent glad it worked ,mines still in the "work in progress " stage,had a slight delay due to a change in job which required a me to move houses,however the grow room is under construction so id better get on with it.

• 1 month later...

does anyone know if the seiobo mk11 is out yet? -i'd heard it was in the pipeline, but have not seen them for a while-just first one.

• 1 year later...

Hey what happened?????

I have just read the wole post and to get to here and find the post just stopped with no finla out come or anything......

Dam good idea u had going on there, I want to get 1 made for me that would do the same as one of them prima Klimavator enviro controllers

The Klimavator is a great bit of custom designed ##### kit. It is a combined fan speed controller and thermostat, which is like having a dimmer switch for your fans with a built in temperature override. This is especially useful in the winter months as you can set your fans to 'turn over' at lower idling speeds thus limiting the amount of cold air coming into your grow room. The benefit of this is that your plants are always getting a healthy supply of fresh air with the adjustable thermostat ensuring that if things get too hot then your fans will 'kick in' at full speed and reduce your grow room temperature. The Klimavator will run both intake and exhaust fans of any size right up to our largest Acoustic Fans simultaneously or just one if required.

Does anyone no if it would be easy to put sumit like that together??

If anyone could help please pm,