Can somebody help?

SmokeyMcPot

Can any of good people help me? ;)

I'm going to be growing on a shelf in my large closet. The shelf is just under 9 square feet in area. The only problem is it's very close to the ceiling! (and i can't move it lower!).

So I want to know how close my 250watt MH Son-T light can get to my babys without having adverse effects?? The overall hight of the shelf is 1ft 7inches/50cm.

Also How much heat will that lamp kick out? Is it gonna be enough for me to set-up a just an osilating fan to cool the space down? Or am I going to need an intricate ventilation? There's a window close to the closet.

Maybe I can just stick a small tube out the window into the closet with a computer fan attached to it? (or is that just the dumbest idea ever?)

Please help me! I want to start my first grow on sunday! :med:

i dont mean too burst your bubble but you cant grow in that space with a light like that, you'll probably need a foot between the bulb and plant tops, maybe more

you should use the whole cupboard and you'll need a decent extractor fan with a light like that

dont start your grow yet, wait till you've got your growroom sorted first ;)

[b-Dr]

I had a realy small room about 20 cm by 20 cm with a 150w light, the bud was 5 cm away from the bulb, you will need an extractor fan to remove the heat from the lampand a desk fun inside to circulalate any hot spots.

You will need to flower when the plants are about 10 cm and may even have to tye the buds down neer the end.

Good luck. ;):med:;)

Thanx for the quick response's guys!

After some carefull consideration I've decided not to grow on that shelf! (Although it would be easiest to hide there and leave me alot more room!)

Instead I'm gonna grow on the floor underneath this shelf. That will give me about 5ft of height! :med:

So my question now changes to: -

In a 5ft long X 1ft 6" wide X 5ft high space. How will my 250watt Son-T light effect the temp? And what kind of ventilation will I need? (remember there is a window near the closet)

All suggestions welcome! ;)

Hi Smokey

You'd still be as well to get a decent extractor fan bearing in mind that you still need to keep your plants well supplied with fresh CO2 and to extract excess humidity during flowering. If I remember correctly (what's the chances of that :bush: ) you need to change the all the air in the room once every 3 or 4 minutes for adequate supplies of CO2 to be available. Also a small fan to circulate the air in the room is an advantage for two main reasons a: it prevents the air under the canopy from stagnating and also prevents hot spots and b: the plants will respond to the "wind" by growing stronger, fatter stems in turn allowing the plant to grow fatter heavier buds. ;)

Good luck

Thanx for all the advice people. :bush:

Last night I cleaned all the closet and set-up the light system. I wanted to perform a dry run with just the light on to see how hot it got in the room. Left the light on all night, and this morning it was pretty hot in there!

Can anybody tell me the optimum temp for MJ (I've read it's about 35 Celcius?)

Also if I can keep this temp with just a small osilating fan will that be OK? Cause the closet isn't air tight, and air will be able to get in from my room.

Once again thankyou for all the advice guy's. I love this site! :D

35 degrees!!!!!!! - shit, that's hot! - I run on furryheits, and reckon you want to aim for 70-75 real imperial degrees (21-23 foreign things).So, as Butty has said, you need an extractor fan to suck the hot air out, and draw the cool co2 laden air in. I'd try a pukka mains duct fan of some sort - reliable and effective - if you don't want to pay out for an RVK or similar, there is a very good Soler & Palau fan from tlc for about £50 :D

In extremis, you could probably get away with an oscillating fan with the doors open, and aimed at the cabinet from a bit of a distance, but you could only do that for the time your lights are on - and you'd have to be there to switch it on and off, and shut the cupboard door when its their night time :bush:

If your cupboard isn't airtight, is it light tight? - its got to be completely dark in there when the lights are off! -and do bear in mind, most people choose their 12 hour "on" cycle to be during the night (ambient temp cooler, hence cabinet runs cooler!) - if you don't do it that way you'll have real problems - we had 90degrees a couple of weeks ago during the day, to have run lights during daylight, the plants would have died, even with ventilation!

Thankyou you all for your advice,

I'm gonna take myself down to the local hardware shop and get me some Ducting and an extractor fan! I've already got a small Osilating fan to go in there.

Hopefully I can get the temp down to the correct level!

Cheers again.

P.s. If it all works out right I'll post some pictures up next week. :D