bonsai mums

BushDoctoR

evening all, B)

how much light would i need per sq ft for a bonsai mother box???

{im guessing the 50w per sq ft rule doesnt apply with flouros and veg growth}

should i give them less hours of light to slow growth???? :headpain:

[b-Dr]

For CF's i would say about 50w per sq'foot. If the bulb to plant distance is any more than a couple of inches you might need more. 3x20w would probably do for one plant. keep them on 18-6, much less and they might start flowering on you.

Its best with standard tubes so the light is even all over the area.

You want slow steady growth. 18 to 20w per sq ft is fine at 4 to 8 inches from the tops and its best to give 24/7 lighting. I have plants that have not seen the dark except for powe cuts for 20 + years.

18 to 20w per sq ft is fine at 4 to 8 inches from the tops
would that be for fluro's aswell? If i used that amount of light i would get a lot more stretch. or is that because i keep them on 18-6?

I go to great lengths to keep the distance around four inches, six at the most. I have 200-240w over about five sq feet, Am i over doing it?

Cheers MYH

The whole thing is low nutrition diet, ie just enough to keep them healthy.

Restricted root mass and plant top and of course you need enough light for them to photosynthesise.

Its also good to keep them as cool as you can.

Thanks ot1, i think i need to improove a couple of things; i think my seven inch posts are a bit too big, im trying to keep the plants below ten inches twelve max. Temps have been a problem all summer ;)

60 to 65f is ideal.

Above 70f you will get more lank growth.

Not much you can do about summer temps with out air con. But as always good air exchange helps a lot.

0.75 to 1 litre is big enough for pots.

• Like 1

cheers ot . i have noticed a stretch and not much side shoot's developing just yet .. gonna try and bonsai the ww and the wrusian. hope it comes out better than last time ;)..... sg..

ive been tinkering around and tying one of my plants hieght isnt an issue tho i just wanted to try something diffrent will this have and advantage i have noticed that more of the buds are getting more light

peace pd666

• 2 weeks later...
I have plants that have not seen the dark except for powe cuts for 20 + years.

ive never heard that before ot1,, iam thinking off bonsaiing my moms 2 save space, (ive been keeping bonsai "japanese nikko & satsuki nikko 4 a long time and never came across that),, cool :puke: we grow and learn.