Encouraging main cola

scaremfright

Hi everybody i am currently 4 weeks into my grow with ice and i am wondering if there are any ways in which to encourage just a 1 main fat cola????

i ask this coz i also have bubblegum and northern lights in the pipe line so i am gonna need the space in my grow room for when icram them in.

just another quicky anyone use those square pots as i am using 3" round ones at the mo and need to repot them into small but deep square pots to save space as my plants are getting big and using up the nutrients too quick causing the leaf stems to go purple/red> ;)

position your lamp 2 feet above the top of your main cola to make the plant stretch for the light, it would help if you had a 400MH...if you use a 400MH in the first 2 weeks of flower ot promotes short 'stocky growth so you would get the length you want from the veg and the stability from the first 2 weeks of flower.

hope that helps...good luck.

Edited by victimless_criminal

I havnt used square pots yet but am planning on it for this time arond. I read in one of OldTimers posts that 2.4 plants per square fot is abou tthe density you want you sea of green. 6 litre containers were recomended for this method, using soil.

You can grow a 1 meter (3 foot) plant in a 6 inch container but the more space you have the more buffer, the larger the root system and more nutrient uptake.

I have heard trimming/pruning your plants (a source of clones) down to 1 main stem and 2, maybe 3, good side branches will help produce larger buds

:smoke:

If you embark on this I would seriously think about increasing your ventiliation and the number of clip-on type fans you are using .

Growing large cola is the most likely method of getting bud-rot when it is all mature , so if you do this it is a good idea to check for rot every day .After it all starts to join up just open it up (carefully) and check the inside of the cola ,daily.

Sorry can't help with pots question.

GOOD LUCK

Growell sell very deep 3 litre pots, they are square ones, about 5 1/4 inches wide and 9 inches deep, probably be alright for up to about 1/2 metre, have to agree with the others main colas look nice but if you get budrot your fucked and not in a nice way, pot size depends on what your aims are, if you are keeping them under 1/2 metre you can probably finish in those pots, also purple stems can mean over watering or too much nitrogen, you said they are 4 weeks old, a 4 week plant still cant consume nutrients that quickly, the nutrients in the soil should sustain seedlings untill 3-4 weeks old, all the best, BBB

right guys i dont no about you but i get about 3 kolas eah time .the trick is to bend the main kola till it snaps. and rest it againsts something to hold it up but i leave it hanging and cut of the first 6 branches .all or this is done in the first 2 weeks of flowering and in the last week or so of flowering i drive 6 inch nails right thru the stock and dont feed them any food or water for the fnal5 days or so this makes the plants go mad and push every last bit of the oils this is like an emergency response to sta alive and my smoke is very good

• 2 years later...

right guys i dont no about you but i get about 3 kolas eah time .the trick is to bend the main kola till it snaps. and rest it againsts something to hold it up but i leave it hanging and cut of the first 6 branches .all or this is done in the first 2 weeks of flowering and in the last week or so of flowering i drive 6 inch nails right thru the stock and dont feed them any food or water for the fnal5 days or so this makes the plants go mad and push every last bit of the oils this is like an emergency response to sta alive and my smoke is very good

Sorry, I know this is an old post but what do people think of Scottys post? Is it sound?

An outdoor durban cross grower showed me 'stressed females' and said they were most resinous plants at chop time. :wink:

Any truth to this?

lsl

Sorry, I know this is an old post but what do people think of Scottys post? Is it sound?

An outdoor durban cross grower showed me 'stressed females' and said they were most resinous plants at chop time. :wassnnme:

Any truth to this?

lsl

poor plants ;)

Oh that old chestnut ...

stressing plants might improve the flavour though ...

... to be filed with "hanging harvested colas upside-down makes the resin run into the buds" ....

:wassnnme:

Edited by compostverte

To encourage a single main cola, simply trim off the lower branches take off everything bar the top shoot and maybe the top 4 nodes. This will result in pretty much one huge cola and a few attendant side colae. Rot is a risk, but can be prevented by good conditions and a wise use of Citrofresh.

You don't need to abuse the plant really, simply bending the main stem gently towards a 90 degree bend will keep your growing tips in maximum light. But I rearely do that, I prefer to just let that main-stem rip.