Smell

CARROT

Hi thanks to every1 on here, your posts have really helped me in my plans for my first grow room.

The cupboard i am planning on using has a vent which goes directley outside my only concern before i start building is how much it is going to smell? are my neighbours going to suddenly notice a strange smell? Would i be better having the exhaust straight into my room

As this is to be my first grow i have no idea how much this is going to smell so any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

CARROT

- a lot depends on what sort of light and cooling you're using, and on your choice of plants....

Reputedly, Northern Lights smell very little, some skunks can whiff for miles!

So, I reckon the best exhaust has got to be outside, but it'll need filtering first - if you vent into your room a)you'll fry, b)you'll open the window 'cos its so hot - escaping niffs - back to square one! Hence the popular choice of a hefty fan sucking in through a carbon filter - then to outside. One of the main problems is heat, so you'll want that going outside, taking the filtered niffy air with it!

Hope that helps a little - there's no question that niffs do carry, and lots of people know what it is.....be careful! lol

Thanks for your replies. I thought as its my first attempt i would start with just 3 or 4 plants in case my growroom needs a bit of tweaking. These plants are going to be northern lights so i'm glad to here that these dont give off too much of a smell. My plan is to have an extractor fan on the vent and a mesh floor so that cool air will be drawn up from below the house hopefully this is going to circulate a lot of cool fresh air around my growroom.The light i will be using is a 400w high pressure sodium light. I think i'll have a look at carbon filters as my next step.

Edited by CARROT